What is your favorite Mozart symphony?

Most people would agree that the last three symphonies of Mozart (no. 39 -41) would be his greatest symphonic compositions. But it is so interesting to realize the perspectives on this subject from conductors. In one interview, Karl Bohm stated that Symphony No. 9 in C major has the originality of some later great works. Another case is Eugen Jochum who performed Symphony No. 33 in B falt major (121 times) more than Symphony No.40 (60 times) or Symphony No. 41 (87 times) in his career.

It would be equally or more interesting to collect your opinions. What would be your favorite Mozart symphony? What would be your most admired performance/recording of that composition?

Happy Listening!

Otto
yu11375
When speaking of his music the one that "falls from heaven" to me at least, is Symphonia Concertante K364 for Violin/Viola written when he was 23 years old. The interplay between the violin and viola in the 2nd movement is just brilliant, I never tire listening to this piece.
I'm glad you mentioned that piece, Tubegroover. May I describe it as "heavenly?"
It just might be my favorite Mozart composition of all.
Yes thank you Tubegroover. Mozart Sinfonia concertante in E flat Major, K 364 - manna from heaven. Mozart truly loves the interplay between the solo voices and the full group. I can feel his heart in a piece like this.

It gives me the same feeling when I listen to Bach's church music. There is a extra special light shining thru Mozart's concerto/chamber/opera music and Bach's church music.
Right, I didn't think you meant anything else ,that's why
I said serious listener.I must have heard D.960 live at least 20 times and I only bothered with the top-rank players. I've listened to it hundreds of times at home and have the score, and I think I still have a way to go but thank God for the journey .
God helps some composers , not in some mystical way, but by the fact that really devout composers don't waste much energy in worry, the most useless activity we humans engage in .
Poulenc wrote about this effect after his conversion .
Bach writing" To the Glory of God" on every work was no empty gesture .

I have a lot or respect for Symphony players, not least because I listened to a conversation where a half-dozen
Players from the Berlin RIAS Orch were bemoning the fact
they had a hard time just listening to music because they
were listening to technical matters in general and their parts in particular .

Yes, sometimes it is very difficult for professional musicians to turn off the critical side of themselves when listening to music. Fortunately, I can usually do this when I am sitting down to listen for pleasure, in the sense that I don't necessarily listen just to my own part. But, as my teachers all said, one can and should learn something every time you hear anyone play - even if it is only one more way not to do it - so that side of our listening is really never turned completely off.

We also have to spend so much time listening for study that there is often not a big block of time available to listen for pleasure. For me, this generally happens in the summertime, and perhaps during the holiday season, when most musicians do get some vacation time, around and after all the holiday concerts.

The thing is, as I have preached on this site many times before - the more study one does of music, the more one enjoys it when one is listening for pleasure. The knowledge always increases the pleasure of listening, and this can often more than balance out the inability to turn off the critical ear.