Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
## *****What is it about the blues that says it's the blues (American)?*****

My question exactly. ##

Well, for the answer, and one which is applicable to the music of any country, a good place to start is the spoken language of that country. The relationship between the language and the music of any culture is well researched and documented. The music of many cultures closely follows the rhythm, patterns and both rhythmic and melodic contours of the language. In the case of the blues, not only are things like the harmony and form the direct descendants of European musical tradition, but the use of what defines the Blues melodically, the minor third and minor seventh, are found in the speech of most African countries. Coincidence? I doubt it.
This might be a better example of what I am talking about. This piece was composed by a Russian, with a Spanish Theme, and it does sound Spanish to my ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh6mDL-VwYw

Is this because of just me associating sounds with visual images, i.e. the movies, I hear the music when looking at Carmen or El Cid, or, did the composer 'know' how to make it sound 'Spanish' to listeners around the world

Derived from Spanish Folk Music?

I think the answer has a lot to do with indigenous folk music. Being the source, it can never be changed, and is identified with a people or culture forever.

Cheers
Louis Armstrong -- AND THE GOOD BOOK

This is actually two albums on one CD. "Louis and the Good Book" and "Louis and the Angels". Tracks 1 thru 12 are from 'The Good Book', and they are great. Spirituals being sung with humor, and NOT like it's European Opera. Great backup singers. You can imagine Louis doing 'Ezekiel Saw The Wheel'.

Of course no one can do a song like Pops. The second LP, 'Louis and the Angels' must have taxed Pop's spirit. But he was the consummate pro. Sy Oliver and his orchestra with some background singers that sounded like they came from 'sing along with mitch'. Complete with the obligatory violins. What a bunch of crap. I guess they wanted 'improve' Pops!! Sy Oliver should be ashamed.

But, Louis struggles to, and manages to stay above the travesty. This is what I call disrespect. As bad as 'Bird with strings'. I guess some people with the power just didn't get it.

Recommended for the first 12 tracks only. At least they didn't mix the tunes, it's easy to hit the eject key after #12.

Allen Toussaint died yesterday while in Spain. He was right up there with Louis when it came to capturing the soul and essence of New Orleans. I will have to play "The Bright Mississippi" today. Great CD.

Cheers

"Baby Face Willette", who got his name from looking at least 10 years younger than his chronological age, could make an organ produce frequency extremes and dynamic range higher and wider than anything that could be recorded. But his audience didn't come to hear what he had on record, they came to hear "Bird" on organ, which is how he sounded as he played at lightning speeds, not just notes, but coherent musical phrases. He looked like anything but a baby when he was performing with face and body contorted by the muse that had possessed him.

"Now"! I recall sitting at a table with professional drummer "Kenny Rice", when I saw "Trane" go off into the far reaches of the galaxy. I looked at Kenny, eyes closed, a faint smile on his face, head nodding to the music, and I could tell he was right along side Trane on his journey to "Orion 7" or wherever; but they had left me behind; I wasn't left behind when "Face" played.

Since "Face" never played live what was on records, I can only try to come close, and it's still a long way from what I heard; "Bird" on "Organ", which is something no equipment made can record; I can only give you what's on record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNkag9AKgbA&list=PLPOxwexjsUr6B48cS4_SIp4MhU8b4VAn2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ERGSEyBeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJm2sTjSY4o

Enjoy the music