Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I'm glad everyone agrees on me and the history of jazz; while it's true, I don't feel any loss. What I have to account is one persons story and no more.

In March 1955, a witness to his death heard a clap of thunder at the moment Charlie Parker passed. In the Summer of that very same year, jazz was born for me at my cousin's apartment in Chicago. He had more records than I have ever seen outside of a record store, I was in paradise; nowhere had I ever heard music like this.

I acquired, and still have many of those same records. Little did I know, at that time my history was being made in a way that would last for the rest of my life. Although I've tried very hard to get past that period, here I am, right back where it all started with many of the same musicians and records.

Enjoy the music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hidesuke1948

A lot of links to good youtubes on this page.

Cheers

Rok, when I said the CD was on order, I just assumed there was a CD; so far no luck.
O-10:
It seems to be part of the "100 Gold Fingers" Series.

Will have to find out more about that.

Cheers
It's getting to be that time of year!

A CARNEGIE HALL CHRISTMAS CONCERT
Kathleen Battle - Frederica von Stade - Wynton Marsalis - Andre Previn with orch and chorus.

Great Singing by two of the best. Wynton and his band do a great 'Winter Wonderland' and 'Three Kings'. I have it on CD and will now order the DVD. I nust SEE this.

Is there anything Wynton CANNOT do?? His, and his septet's playing is perfect for this performance! The man is at home in any setting! Just like Ray!

The arrangements are just awesome. Battle is awesome on the 'Mary' tunes. At moments, Her voice/music sounds a little 'Porgy & Bess-ish'. von Stade shines on 'Lo, How A Rose E'er blooming'. Effort went into this. And the best were recruited to do it.

The American Boyschoir and the Christmas Concert Chorus provide support.

A Must Have.

Cheers