How important is bass to you?

It is to me. If it is recorded - it should be reproduced in a correct manner. Bass provides the foundation. No matter how well system might sound in other elements, if it doesn't play bass the right way, except the lowest bass, I would want to upgrade.
inna
Cool ...

It's all about the bass.

Get it right ... the rest falls into place.

FWIW - for me I have found even one sub properly set up does wonders; especially on vinyl when they need to mono the low bass signal to fit on the record and keep your stylus from bouncing. Very common with pop, reggae music and loudness wars. Vinyl grooves containing big bass take up space on the record.
But when the digital master file submitted to the studio is a good one... the magic happens. This is when two subs or true full range speakers really shine on the low end part of the music.

Happy Listening
To answer the OP's question, bass incl: low, mid & upper bass is very important to providing the fundamentals of the music. You want bass that is tight, can reproduce the lowest registers for instruments such as a timpani and church organ, moves plenty of air & offers good inner detail and texture.

Having good bass fundamentals not only lays down the foundation for the music, but is very important to the overall coherency of a speaker. Slow, flabby bass can smear the midrange, negatively impacting the sound of a loudspeaker.