Quad 988 versus Quad 2805

I am soliciting opinions from owners of both speakers, or individuals that have heard both in the SAME system. The newer version obviously looks more rigid and, in my view, more attractive. However, the difference in price between a used 988 and a new 2805 is very significant. For those who are familiar with both, what, if any, sonically significcant differences exist?
gmuffley
I have had 63s (was editor of the Quad Owners Newsletter with Harvey Rosenburg as publisher) and now have 988s modified to the max by Electrostatic Solutions in Kansas City and with Mye stands installed. There is no question that my version of the 988s is very superior to the 63s that Rosenburg and I used during his Futterman period. The Mye Stands take care of bracing, indeed, they brace the 988s better and with more mass than the one pole brace of the 2905. The latest Electrostatic Solutions power supply board mod brought out even more transparency of the 988s. I am highly satisfied with these speakers. I use with them an Audio Note UK Level 5 system.
I own a pair of ESL57 refurbished by Wayne Picquet of Quads Unlimited, and could not be happier.

They sound amazing within their limitations. It's true the sweet spot is small, but oh so wonderful. For vocals they can't be beat. There is also no reason to have to "babysit" them. They are quite robust, and with Wayne's rebuild you don't have to worry about overloading them. The bass response is also much better than most realize.

While they are fairly large, they are also so transparent that they do have a tendency to "disappear"......
I have 988s modified by Electrostatic Solutions in Kansas City, using all of their Quad mods. My 988s also have Mye stands. They play quite loud without shutting down. They offer very good bass below 40CPS. Overall, with the mods and stands, they are much improved over stock. I also use an REL S5 which only goes to work below 35CPS. The combination is devastatingly good.