Any thoughts on passive v. active speakers?

I'm thinking about ditching my amps and cables and just buying an active speaker with a balanced input. I have a Krell 2250 and a pair of 140 watt Atma-sphere MA-1MKII. I desperately need speakers and cables, but not sure if I want to go through the bother (and expense) of finding the perfect matching set.

Should I go with a speaker & amp that are already matched or keep building my system like a bespoke smorgasbord?
rogerstillman
Can anyone show me a finished system with an Active Crossover?

It would be nice to see solid state, tube & hybrid (solid state & tube) designs.

How easy are these systems to live with?

Do you have to constantly fiddle with the crossover frequencies & gains for each one or can you just sit back and spin the volume control up & down for the whole system?

I know some one is going to tell me, it depends on the room. :~)
I see how adding an active crossover might cause some time delay or other coloration, but if they are built by a good component builder with matched parts that would go a long way, no?

I like the theory of active crossovers and I'm would imagine some are made better than others. But, going this route sounds like it could be hazardous because of zd542's concerns.
I've owned both active (linn) and passive systems and found that passive better suits my personality - in that it allows me to mix and match, buy and sell equipment.

A good active system does many things well, and probably the best option for someone who doesn't want to play the audiophile game.

I suspect that most of us do however enjoy the challenge of putting together our ideal system with the pieces that we want.

I think if you compare high quality active and passive systems, you will be pleased with both. If you like to tinker, then I think you will get bored with an active system.

Just my take on the subject.
Post removed 
Post removed