Magnepan 1.7 to 3.7i or Pass Labs XA60.5 to X100.5

I'm in the process of upgrading my system and facing a choice. Currently I'm using an pass labs amplification (XONO, X1, XA60.5) feed by Michell Gyro, SME IV and Shelter 90x and ending with Maggie 1.7 (mye sound stands).

I've listened to both 3.7i and Wilson Sabrina, Sashas, all of which could benefit from a bit more amp.

I have a dedicated music room (12x10) and listen to late sixties classic rock, country rock, folk as well as Cash, Owen country and vocal jazz.

I have trade-up value for the 1.7 at my dealer as well trade-up value on the XA60.5. I could probably stretch to a demo pair XA160.5 but am concerned without a dedicated power outlet I'm taxing the system. Also by the way, I don't tend to push the system beyond a bit past midpoint on the pre-amp, although the XA60.5 class-A meter dances about on complex crescendos.

Two question. Upgrade amp or speakers first assuming only one change for the next 12 months? If the amp, is the XA100.5 enough of a jump?
tgonzales
Thanks gonzales, I have heard the 60.8´s driving a pair of Dynaudio C4 Platinums (88dB), the meters stayed in the middle/never left class-A, but I have also heard Magnepan owners saying that even the XA100.5/8 is not sufficient.
Hasse: Thanks for the updated dimensions. I'd either missed or forgotten them. 15x18 is a pretty ideal size for 1.7s and possibly a bit of a squeeze for 3.7s.

Advantage of the 3.7: true ribbon tweeter section vs.1.7's quasi ribbon. You get faster more detailed treble and more bass with the 3.7i's, which shouldn't be surprising for three times the price. I'm pretty sure, however, that the 3.7s need more free space around them to "sing."

On another note, although the Pass's specs say 60/120 wpc into 8/4 ohms, Stereophile's measurements of the XA60.5 indicate that it's putting out 200 watts into 4 ohms by the time it reaches 0.1% THD.

Given that I have an old Perreaux PMF1150B making 100/200 wpc into 8/4 ohms to power 1.7s in an open living space, your Passes should give either 1.7s or 3.7s plenty of power to reach lifelike levels in your 15x18 room.
The best advice is to go with a good sub or perhaps a pair of subs. That is going to give you the best results.