Phono cartridge for classic rock

Any suggestions for a phono cartridge that plays "classic rock" well? It seems that the MCs I've used over the past few years (Lyra Dorian, Ortofon Kontrapunkt A) aren't the best choice. They play some of my old records superb and then some with cold sounding midrange and highs.

If Stanton still made the 881 with the shibata stylus tip they offered I'd be in heaven, but that's not an option. I do have a Dennon DL103 in the closet but haven't tried it with my current gear. I'm using a VPI Scout (just got it and love it), Electrocompaniet ECP1 phono and ECI3 integrated, Linn Ninka loudspeakers. Thanks for any advice.
mbenus
ACUTEX M320 III STR and SHURE ULTRA 500 are perfect match to rock and make Robin Trower shine :) They also fit perfectly any kind of music :)

I strongly recommend the Audio-Technica ANV150 as well and I do have one NIB for sale. My price is 790 USD including tracked delivery Worldwide.

Best regards
Tom,

To emphasize oomph at the expense of nuance and detail, try scooting VTF up by a hair.

As you know, the UNIii is profoundly responsive to tiny VTF adjustments. If you're like me you optimize it daily (sometimes more often) to optimize its strengths. Of course this requires constant awareness and adjustment, as changes of .001g or less should be audible in your system.

When the urge arises to play on the dark side, an increase of say 0.1g from the ideal VTF will add macro-oomph at the cost of some HF response and low level detail. Play around with it.

Not that you shouldn't acquire more toys! But the above is a cheap way to tweak sonics with the excellent toys already on hand.

Enjoy!

There is no such thing as a cartridge or arm that is better at rock than anything else. That is a myth plain and simple. Electronics (including speakers) don't have taste and can't tell what music you are playing through it.

In short if its really good at jazz and classical its really good at rock too. That's how it is.

Now it may be that a particular recording reveals a weakness. That weakness will show up elsewhere guaranteed. Do as Doug suggests- its a good suggestion.
I am tracking at 1.7 gm
I recall you mentioning your cartridge relaxed some Doug

0.01 increments?
My digital scale jumps around more than that
(O ring time?)

I may be finding a few bad recordings that are congested rock pieces

As a 1st pressing UK Who Quadrophenia is dynamic as ever

Part of it may also be overloading my room volume wise
>> I am tracking at 1.7 gm
Meaningless data, since every cartridge is unique (especially cartridges that resolve at the level of the UNIii).

>> I recall you mentioning your cartridge relaxed some Doug
Yes. I adjust VTF virtually every session, based on sonics.

>> 0.01 increments?
Yes, though "increments" suggests a precise measuring that I don't bother doing. I adjust until sonics are optimal.

>> My digital scale jumps around more than that
Mine too, but that's irrelevant. I haven't used my scale since I first mounted the cartridge. A scale can't tell you what optimal VTF is. Only your ears can do that.

> (O ring time?)
Maybe. The Talea has a VTF fine-adjust knob on the end stub. Use that first. If you need finer adjustment, O-rings like I use on the TriPlanar are effective, easy, repeatable and cheap. Sliding one O-ring in or out by its own width will affect VTF by less than .01g, but may have an audible impact.