Metrum Pavane NOS DAC

Been listening to it for a few days now. This is a most beautiful sounding DAC. I'll give it a few more weeks before declaring it an astonishingly beautiful sounding DAC.

I wish I discovered it earlier, as it would have saved me a lot of money churning through equipment.
coli
The Schiit Yggdrasil is also R2R using 4 $75 exotic 20 bit super precision Analog Devices DACs to give "pure 21 bits of info". My friend has one he lightly modded and he says its outrageous. You can see the mods on my website: http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Schiit_mod.html
He is in Pocoima, CA and would love to A/B with the Pavane or other fine DAC.

Pity it uses the Analog Devices AD5791 dac as it looks like has it's own I/V stage built into it, leaving no room for I/V experimentation, and there a lot of good work being done in this area by some heavy hitters.

Cheers George
Yeah, my experience with 1bit DSD DAC was... beyond horrible.

6bit R2R Delta Sigma DACs are actually pretty good, Burr-Brown call it "advanced segment", Onkyo receivers/processors got it and it sounds great and is super cheap!

Sabre Delta Sigma DAC sucks, similar to 1bit DACs, sigh.

And finally, fully R2R DACs are heavenly.

Let's see where the DIY Soekris R2R DAC goes, could be awesome sound quality at dirt cheap prices.
I am not totally sure but I think the ad5791 has no internal IV converter. If you make a discrete R2R DAC as MSB and TotalDAC do they both have voltage out without an IV converter. I think the same for this part.

From what I quickly saw on the data sheet of the ad5791 it has voltage outputs, not current, which usually means it has it's own I/V stage built in.

Cheers George