Got $1000...how should I spend it?

Hello everyone,

Last year I had to sell my gear, which consisted of GMA Europas, melody tube amp and squeezebox, in order to finish up my graduate studies. Well I am done thankfully and want to get back and want to build a system to listen to music again. Unfortunately, my girlfriend has given me some guidelines: it must be relatively compact and at a thousand or less. All understandable considering we are trying to save for a house.

What are my options. I really enjoyed my Europas and ideally like to get
something along those lines but maybe in an active speaker design to try to get the best bang for my buck. Although if anyone can recommend a setup for $1000 for speaker and amp please go ahead.

Any ideas?
daimbert
A thousand bucks?
Who has that kind of scratch?
Hell...I've put systems together for half that amount.
Watch the classifieds, find the deals, and you should have enough left over for an engagement ring.
I bought my wife's at the pawn shop.
It helps if she appreciates vintage jewlry
Good luck and my best to you and your girlfriend.
There are a lot of jokers in this thread, but seriously--getting enjoyable sound out of a thousand bucks isn't unreasonable.

There are a ton of options that could probably please you as much as your old rig. Magnepan MMGs (or the wall edition for low profile) + Gainclone + Squeezebox Touch... Any number of other speakers could be substituted into that equation. If you can DIY I've read good things about those Neo 2x speakers. 6Mooons White Lighting Moonshine yourself some speaker cables, get yourself a $25 elpac powersupply on ebay for $25 and hit up the Morrow Audio MA1s for $30 promotion if it hasn't ended.

Down the line when you can spend a couple dollars more build yourself a tube buffer, but for now just enjoy the tunes.

And I almost forgot... Dump your woman!
Thats a reasonable speaker budget, but I don't think everyone is saying you can't get something enjoyable for the time being with a grand. I think they're just busting your balls about the gf.

Buy used, DIY and don't fear vintage.
$1,000 for a system? Easy, if I can assume that you have your music on a laptop or PC.

1- see Mapman's response.

2- $450 or so for a used Peachtree Decco; includes DAC. $50 for a set of used speaker cables. $500 left for speakers (lots of good choices, used or new).

2- $150 or less for a used Luxman, Tandberg or Marantz receiver. $200-$500 for a good USB DAC. $150 for a set of used Klipsch KG4s. Use zip cord fpr speaker cable. Rebuild the KG4 crossovers for $75 if you are feeling opulent. Lots of money left over to spend on the GF.