Proac 1sc or 2D for this size room

Hi All,

Just pulling my hair out deciding what speakew]r to get for this size room. Room size is 13.5ft x 13.5 ft x 9ft ceilings. Equipment is as follows:

Preamp Atma-sphere Mp1 Mk 2.3
Amps Atma-sphere MA2 mk 2.3
Interconnects / speaker cables Cardas Golden Reference
Phono Rega P9
Cd Player - Musical Fidelity KW SACD

Currently I'm using Confidence C5, but these are two large for this room and they only come alive when I turn them up which is not what I'm after.

After your thoughts as I can not audtion these next to one another. Since I'm going to a more friendly speaker I may down grade my amps to smaller Atma-spheres in the coming months.

Music taste are RNB / Reggae / Soul. No clasical / orchestra what so ever.

Cheers
Che
che13
I will say this: ProAcs are widely known to be even more system-dependent that lots of speakers (realizing as I say that that ALL speakers are obviously system-dependent ...).

ProAc are also voiced with tubed electronics (Audio Research, if memory serves) and even though many report great results with Naim and other solid state gear, I would go so far as to say that you haven't really heard what a given ProAc speakers is capable of until it has been on the receiving end of a decent tube amplifier.

Ejlif's point is definitely well taken about the difference between the ProAc and Dynaudio 'sounds'. My Wilson-Benesch Arc's, in my system, sounded kind of 'boring' to me, despite being very well-regarded speakers. I didn't chalk it up to any fault of the WB's as much as I attributed it to less-than-optimal system-matching on my part.

Che13: don't forget about the new D1's either. I spoke to the distributor (Modern Audio) and a long-time ProAc dealer in Dallas (Audio Concepts) and both said they had eyed ProAc's ability to top the 1SC (in a speaker of that size) with suspicion - that is, until they actually *heard* the new D1. Perhaps not unbiased opinions in either case, but both made clear their awe of both the 1SC and the fact that ProAc was able to actually improve on it in several respects.
Wow, I've been out of it for awhile. I'm a former ProAc owner and really loved those guys. Is the D Two a resurrection of the much heralded 2S?
I believe the speaker which was "much heralded" was the front-ported Response 2. I have owned both the Response 2 (still do) and the rear-ported 2S. The 2S missed the mark IMO. They didn't disappear like the 2. Placement was much more difficult and not worth the little extra bass extension they offered so I went back to using the 2 model and have been happier ever since. I will say the 2S had incredibly good bass for a monitor.
I have the Proac Response D Two. Using them with:

NAD C275BEE
Cambridge Audio 840E pre
Cambridge Audio 840c cd
Linn Axis TT
computer based digital music (mm hard drive etc.)

Mounted on Charisma Audio Function stands, image here: http://www.charismaaudio.com/FunctionS1.jpg

My room is 13 ft x 26 ft x 9 ft ceilings

My listening spot is 12 feet from the speakers, with the speakers having 3 feet behind them and 3 feet from the sidewalls.

These speakers really load the room. In fact, I can play these more loudly and cleanly than is really comfortable fo this size of room. So yes, they work in an even larger room without strain.

Love the speakers. They do all music well, no limitations. I have an 800 piece vinyl collection and the same number of CD's. Listen to Rock, Pop, Punk, alternative, heavy metal, jazz, and blues, in equal amounts. This all sounds good on the Response D Two. They are really natural and very musical, and no edge or glare or grain to them. Ton's of musical bass also.