Speaker Question...first post on the gon

Hello. I'm wanting to put together a dedicated 2 channel system that is capable of simulating a "live" performance with blues, jazz and rock. With that being said, I value dynamics secondary to soundstage/imaging. I haven't had the opportunity to audition any speakers worth mentioning. Unfortunately, with work and other activities and a lack of dealers in my area, auditioning speakers is not even a viable option so I am hoping to make informed decisions in the used market, and with any luck find what I'm looking for the first go around. Currently the speakers in my hd (a/v?) uh, the room with my tv lol, have been pulling double duty with music. I have a Definitive setup with BP7001SC for L/R and BP3000 center and some smaller Definitive towers for rear. After much work with placement and a pair of Parasound HCA1500's bridged mono to the fronts with a small tube buffer between the amps and an H/K reciever I'm using as a pre/pro, I've managed to achieve pretty decent and dynamic soundstaging with 2 channel, for the types of music I listen to, or a decent improvement at least. I have a Parasound 5250 amp that can handle all 5 channels for movies, so for now I'm wanting to start with the 2 HCA1500's I have which are 630w at 8ohm bridged mono and use these for amplification. What speakers in the used market for $5000 or less, (preferably less :) will give me the bottom octaves at least on par with what I'm used to from my powered towers, tight/snappy midbass and a remaining audio spectrum that is musically dynamic but not fatiguing and with the ability to achieve focal imaging that essentially eliminates the sense of speakers as the source? I'm currently lookin on the gon at a pair of Vandersteen 5's (not 5a...not sure how different) and a pair of Vandersteen Quatros, mostly because I'm fairly confident that they will not disappoint in the lower octaves. Any opinions on these as well as any other speaker recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
soundynamic
I almost bought a pair of those myself a few years ago but went with VMPS instead, I think you will like them and Ty is an absolute prince in this industry, very kind, very knowledgeable and very approachable. I think you going to have alot of fun with these new speakers but do let us know what you think once you get them. Enjoy my friend!
Congrats! Ty's PDs do look interesting. Please report back on those. Would love to hear them myself one day. Hey, I know, crank them up to 11 and open your windows and perhaps I will ;^}
Sounds like a speaker that fits all your concerns;let us know how they work out;I was wondering how big your room is?
Thanks guys, I will definitely let you know my impressions after I get an ear on them. I'm meeting Ty on Sunday to pick them up. He said he was buying dinner too! Rleff my room is 12x17. I have no concept of how much speaker is to much for a given room size but the sub amps have crossover, level and phase controls as well as a bass boost that can be switched on or off, so I imagine with some setup effort and room treatment if necessary I should be able to get them sounding the way I like on the low end. My only concern is whether the horn will sound smooth and balanced enough for me and be able to seperate the recorded sound elements and place them coherently into a 3 dimensional space. If the sound is just plain in your face, thats not going to work for me. Has anyone heard a horn that can do a respectable job of this? I sure would like to hear that it is at least possible.

Sound mechanic….

Er uh, ‘ynamic’ ….. sorry, it was too easy to pass up.

Definitely congrats. Ty is indeed a superb guy to deal with and he won’t try to over or under sell you. He’s one of the good ones with which to deal.

101 db. Hmmmm. Well you surely will have flexibility now with regard to amps, that’s for sure!

Before leaving to see Ty…
Step 1:
unbridge those amps.
Step 2:
Ensure the vol is turned completely DOWN.

I have no concept of how much speaker is to much for a given room size but the sub amps have crossover, level and phase controls as well as a bass boost that can be switched

Boost? 12 x 17 room?

You are about to find out … Again, do unbridge the amps first… before you unpack them even…. Just to be sure.

Going forward, I’d say you might want to look into obtaining the more Quiet power train devices…. Think truly balanced

Depending on which wall you place them near, 32 watts is going to blow you away!... 130watts should be enough to cause hearing damage at prolonged listening sessions. That is of course if you’re in the same room.

Routinely, under 20 watts could agrevate the neighbors with the windows open..

Consider bass traps as the very next move…. And trating first reflection points as your second move.

It’s to your credit to have come back and given closure to your endeavor here…. Many simply abandon the input they receive.

Any future updates would be super!

Very very good luck. Rock on! You darn should be able to now. Even with Triodes!