Did anybody else notice this about PSB Speakers?

I couldn't help noticing that 6 PSB speakers were selected in TAS's Editor's Choice issue this Fall and 4 were also selected as Stereophile Recommended Components. It's not like these two magazines like to agree about things very often. I am pretty sure no other vendor had 6 Editor's Choices in that issue for any sort of component.

One speaker selected only by Stereophile was the $5K PSB Synchrony One as Class A, Limited Extreme LF, right in there with a dozen or more very highly regarded $16K loudspeakers.

Also note that neither magazine has even reviewed PSB's new Platinum line, which is a cut above their Synchrony series and not really that much more expensive.

If I wanted a linear room-filling monster for a large area without breaking the bank, I'd have to look at a Synchrony One and a Platinum T8 tower. But let's not forget that their $279/pr Alpha B1 has owned the entry-level category for decades as well.

Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation w/PSB, nor do I own any, but I'm very impressed with them.
johnnyb53
unlike many of the new speakers out there, the synchrony one is a throwback to the days of making speakers to be neutral and uncolored (as balanced as they come)across the board.
Mapman & Jaybo

Should squeakers be entirely without character always?

Personally, I see that going either way. With a great front end or even a very good one, as transparent and unbiased as a squeaeker can be should be a pretty good thing, all in all.

I can't help but feel I'm in for some disappointment in comparing them to my current refs.... BUT... with any luck in the next few weeks I'll see.

If however the system needs something to ease things up, or provide a more resolute and stark perspective, having some which deter from 'zero gravity' could well be a very good thing. It's all a mixture anyhow. Right?

AS I've been perusing and considering a change with my own squeaker system, I'm being more than cautious as to which way to go from here.

I've seen some slam dunk bargains here and there, but on ones whose 'perspective' on the event seems on paper at least not to suit some needs & desires.

IMO... acquiring the right speaker is more formidable a proposition than it would appear when you think it all out... driveability, room dimensions, esthetic, presentation, size, price, and color.

I did find a PSB dealer which has the Sync Ones on display about an hour & a half away. they sell Dyn Audio too. No Platinum series though.
Dynaudio and PSB are both lines that I could live with (I've lived with a pair of Dynaudio monitors for about 3 years now and still always enjoy them when I listen).

I would not equate neutrality with lack of character. The PSBs had as much character as anything I have listened to in recent years. The "toe tapping" factor was as high as I have heard, perhaps even greater than what I heard with Magico and mbl, though I liked those very much as well. Those also happen to cost 5-6 times as much I believe so I consider the PSBs to be a fantastic bargain.

The "character" of the PSBs (Synchrony floorstanders)was more like the OHM Walsh floorstanders in my system than the Dynaudio monitors. I did not discern a major difference however. The Dynaudios do bass very well for a small monitor but perhaps not as robustly as the PSBs. The Dyns may also be just a bit "tighter" and hotter sounding in my system whereas the PSBs had flow to the nth degree. The PSBs were being sourced from a Cambridge 840c player and my own Linn turntable. Pre-amp was an ARC sp-17 and the amp was a good sized Rogue tube amp, so the electronics feeding them were quite good but neither inexpensive nor the nth degree in cost. Nevertheless, the sound was in the same league as the best I have heard, though certainly not identical. PErsonal preference and fit to room and the rest of the system more than anything else would be the
prime factors in deciding which way to go (also budget of course). But the PSBs left me believing that they are most competitive with some of the best systems out there at much higher cost, if they turn out to be your cup of tea.

There were also a pair of large Maggie 20.1s also at significantly higher cost to compare to. I preferred listening to the PSBs and found I did not want to stop listening, always a good sign! I did listen to some classical music for comparison as well, but my focus was on more popular, swinging music that particular day. Steely Dan sounded really good on those PSBs!

I also have a pair of tiny Triangle Titus monitors in my second system. These may be one of the best values new or used in all audio. They also have that "don't want to stop listening" factor, but their sound is totally different from the PSBs. The little Triangles are perhaps still one of the fastest and most transparent and detailed speakers I have heard. They have convinced me to let go of both very well regarded speakers by B&W and Magnepan that I 've had in my system in past years. They are Stereophile class B rated and their only flaw I hear is that they do not do the lowest octave of bass. They definitley offer an alternate sound to the likes of PSB I would say. WHich is better? Who know. They are both very very good, but much different at least in the systems I have heard them in. YMMV.
Mapman

>> The little Triangles are perhaps still one of the fastest and most transparent and detailed speakers I have heard. They have convinced me to let go of both very well regarded speakers by B&W and Magnepan that I 've had in my system in past years. They are Stereophile class B rated and their only flaw I hear is that they do not do the lowest octave of bass. They definitley offer an alternate sound to the likes of PSB I would say. WHich is better? Who know. They are both very very good, but much different at least in the systems I have heard them in. YMMV. <<

Exactly... as I alluded to in my post... another perspective on the sound.

I feel my largest issue personally, is my dred of going to monitors instead of floor stander (near full range) speakers. I've been pointed towards some reportedly great ones from Joseph Audio, and JM Reynaud. After speaking with Daedalus too, his RMa's seem justifiable as well, primarily because I can't swing the Ulyssyes on the budget.

JMR has my attention though. If the Grand Vennas weren't so tall, I'd give them a try even though I'd be losing some bass I'm pretty sure..
Blindjim,

For smaller rooms and more nearfield listening, I tend to like floorstanders with monitor-like physical driver configurations (drivers closer to each other) but in a well constructed floorstanding cabinet (as opposed to stands).

In larger rooms and for listening from a distance, floorstanders with drivers more separated vertically can work just as well.

Either scenario lends itself well to a better listener perspective for best soundstage, imaging and overall coherency.

The thing to avoid IMHO is listening nearfield to floorstanders with greater vertical separation between drivers covering different frequency ranges.