Zu Essence vs Devore Nine vs Maggies

Greetings all! I currently have some Dynaudio 52Se monitors with a REL R-205 sub and am looking for something with the same or better quality sound, yet a deeper, richer, more engrossing sound. I've considered the Contour series floorstanders, but haven't heard them.

My room is 15x25 with a vaulted ceiling 8-10ft. Speaker placement is on the long wall on the short side of the ceiling. I run a Sony ES CD source to a Rogue Perseus tube preamp with a Quad 909 SS power amp. I'd like to spend $1000-3000 (used, preferably).

I've auditioned the Magnepan 1.6R and loved them quite a bit. I've also heard the ProAc Response D2, Dali Helicon, and Devore Super 8. Honestly, I really like the Magnepan, especially for the price. I also really liked the Dali, but it's too much and the Devore Nine killed the Super 8 to me, but again is a little pricey. After much reading, I think the Zu Essence might be what I want and at a great price now, $3500.

So... has anyone heard the new Essence and compared it to the Devore Nine? Also, would my setup be too much for such sensitive speakers? I like everything from jazz trios to arena rock. For that amazing encompassing "live", rich sound, with clear detailed highs and nice lows, can I beat the Maggies? To be fair, I had a whole week to audition them at home while all the others were at dealers.

Thanks in advance, Dave, Austin, TX
daveed_tx
Wow, lots of good thoughts, guys. Thanks!

Marty, I've heard the MMG on the exact setup as mine and it was impressive. I only heard for an evening. I had a week to audition the 1.6 in my space and liked them so much more. Haven't heard of Rhythmik, but I'm sure my REL is good enough. Thanks for the ideas - been thinking about room correction for awhile.

Everyone, the 909 does well with the Maggies (as well as the Theta my buddy runs on them - they are his speakers I borrowed). He runs them biamped though and he said that makes a marked difference. So yes, visual size of the speakers and possible need for a second amp (plus cables) don't make it ideal. Likewise, the need to possibly trade out the 909 for a low-watt SET or other amp for the Zu might be an issue. Neither seem perfect, but I was wondering a general preference. Seems tied, which is good. I can go either way. Will definitely audition the Zus!
If you like the Maggie 1.6 you should consider the Eminent Tech LFT-8s. They are planars too, but with a well integrated bass driver. And I've heard that bass is much better than the 1.6s. And still well integrated with the planar drivers. I've compared them to the MMGs and the MMGs sound rather horrible in comparison. Anyway, you might google them. Whoops, just noticed you have your speakers on the long wall. Not sure you'd be able to get the speakers out far enough in to the room with only 15' to play with. Not sure I'd go with planars with that setup.
the eminent techs are classics all well, as are the newform 630's......so many speakers, so little time.jaybo