Replacing Totems One's

I'm thinking of replacing my Totem One's (non-sig.) and would like to hear if there are any other monitors worthy of replacing them? Sonus Fabers, Usher...etc ???? Budget $1200 for used.

One problem, wife factor has made speaker placement an issue, I will only have about a 12" gap from rear wall to back of speaker. Room is 14w x 16L x 13H vaulted.

The Totem's were awesome (imagining monsters) but a bit too forward and they need to place 24" from the rear wall.

Thinking about the Sonus Faber Concerto's (has front firing vent). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
mr_macgee
Mr. Macgee,

Here's the problem: Getting the same level of performance from a $1200 set of speakers (even used) that you get out of your Totem Acoustic anniversary monitors will be difficult, if not nearly impossible. Unless fortune shines upon you and you happen across an amazing deal, I don't think you'll find a suitable replacement at such a low price point.

Those Sonus Faber Concerto's you ask about? Not even close. You'd have to step it up to the Cremona Auditors for things to get interesting.

I say, get rid of the wife!! :D

On a more serious note: as rbstehno suggested, there may be an equipment mismatch going on. The One's can not only work well near a wall, but they can also work on a great variety of gear. While I do not consider them to be forward in how they present music, I think what you are hearing in them is the slight boost in the upper midrange / lower treble. If you want to tune this down (or out completely), match The One's with organic/warm/lush sounding electronics.

Otherwise, the only other loudspeaker I know that can provide some great overall sound that's smoother and enjoyable for hours on in is the ACI Sapphire XL or the Lenehan Audio ML1's. The ML1's sport a ridiculous value, but unfortunately, they are nearly impossible to find used and if you were to buy them new, you'd be set back just over 2 grand. Another great option would be the Harbeth Compact 7 ES3 (forget about the smaller models), but I digress, its size, looks, and price, wont fit your criteria.

Meanwhile, check out those ACI Sapphire XL's that were mentioned above. They have an odd shape to em', but the sound is there in spades. They are also very compact, very affordable, and can also work well near walls (especially with you mess with tuning/plugging the ports).

Good luck in the hunt!
Hi Rbstehno,

Thanks for the posts. Your right about the cables and amps being a potential problem. I guess I should have instead said I found the Totems to be a bit too accurate and analytical than forward. The current set-up has this. Speaker placement, small amp (70w@4ohm) and Kimber cables are partly to blame. They are amazing sounding speakers. Getting the most low end is also key.

I have had them sounding amazing with large very expensive gear and proper room placement (36" from wall). I was very happy with the Totems but this was a while ago. Back in the day, I have auditioned many different expensive set-ups and speakers. The Totems had impressed me the most compared to many many others but they needed to be paired with the correct gear. The Mani's (quiet giants) are amazing but talk about needing juice.

I'm very much trying to get away from large muscle amps & separates. I could see using a Classe CAP-80 or 101 (has remote) with some Cardas type cables with the Totem's but not sure that's enough power. This is one of the reasons why I'm looking for a different speaker also because the close wall placement but they will have to be a very good pair to give up the Totem's.

A used pair of Usher BE-718 are looking like a possibility if I stretch my budget. I'm still looking at others. I'll look into the Merlin's as suggested above but know very little about them. Also some Fabers.

Is there any typical kind of design that's suits close to wall placement? I know it sacrilegious but it's that or nothing.
Rumadian,

Thanks for a very nice and useful post. Unfortunately, the wife stays. She's still hot.

I looked into the Lenehans and I have to say I'm impressed with reviews, I'm also impressed how hard it is to find a pair. Not sure about being a good pair for close to the wall due to rear firing port but defiantly on the list

The Totem 1 that I have are the old (12yrs) orig. with bi-wire but modded and not the updated signature model. Not sure how the two compare.

Again, It looks like the Totems are staying till a worthy alternative appears.

I agree, "match The One's with organic/warm/lush sounding electronics" any suggestions within reason?

Cheers
I lisend to the Usher 718 and compared them to the Merlin TSM MMe in the same store with the same equipment. These are 2 diffrent kind of speakers. The Ushers are focusing on details and the Merlins on the music.

I would choose the Merlins any day of the week. But it´s your ears that should make that decision :)
Mr. Macgee,
I apologize, as I didn’t realize you were referring to the original Model One’s. I thought the speakers you had were Totem’s 20th anniversary model dubbed “The One”. The name designation can cause some confusion, or at least for a guy like me. Doh! With that said, this changes the ballgame entirely.

While the original model 1’s are fantastic speakers, there is no shortage of other competent competing mini-monitors out there. For your situation, a perfect match (more bass, was designed to work near walls, slightly less aggressive) would be a pair of speakers from Sweden called the GURU QM-10’s. Though I’ve never owned them, I brushed across them at the 08’ RMAF show. Great stuff, and THE perfect solution for your space. The only caveat is that finding them used can be difficult, and when you do, typically they will fetch a bit more than $1200.00… but the additional investment will be worth your while.

As for solid component matches.. it hinges entirely on your listening space, and how much volume you want. I'm a big fan of integrated amplifiers (due to their simple circuit path), so if I were in your shoes, I'd look towards options from the likes of Blue Circle Audio, Naim, Unison Research, Vista Audio, to name a few. If you are a big fan of cost-effective separates, than I'd look into Monarchy Audio.

Good luck in the hunt!