Are Harbeths really "all that?"

Hi,

I am not actually in the market for new speakers (heck, I just GOT new speakers) but I am intrigued, lately, reading about the Harbeth line on this forum. Are those little Harbeths (their "entry level," can't remember the model number right now) as fabulous as most reviewers seem to suggest? What kinds of music do they excel at? What kind of power do they need?
rebbi
Drubin, I have the P3s, and while I've put them up for sale as I really have no good 'home' for them, they are really amazing little speakers.
Good thread. I do think Harbeths are great speakers in general, but...

(1) You are paying a markup for the brand name.

(2) Current exchange rate makes European speakers poor values in general.

Therefore if someone can afford and wants to pay for them, I would not say he is making a mistake. However, for myself I'd choose a US-made speaker.

Not sure if I have helped at all. :)

You live close to a dealer, so listen to them and please report back your impression, including comparison with your Ohms.
check out the thread of bob neil of amherst audio on positive feedback, or maybe audio asylum...anyway, he went the early spendor route, then harbeths, then audio note. he does a pretty good job of laying it all out there. he also says what works for you is what works for you, and no other. couldn't agree more.
Yes, Bob has done an excellent job describing the differences between Harbeth and Audio Note.

(AN/Es are much preferable to me than any Harbeth model, FWIW.)