Large soundstage at 2 ft distance?

What I want essentially are bookshelf speakers with as large a sound stage as possible. The placement is from 2 ft away and 3ft apart. Amp is Boston Acoustic avr721 receiver. 120 watts per solid. Needs to be magnetically shielded as they will be close to my monitor.

Looking to stay under $500. Used preferred.

Cheers!
davidandrewway
05-19-09: Davidandrewway
I understand your points. They are valid. My thought is that they would be fine. I just do not believe the OS3 is enough speaker for me. I ordered a pair of HSU HB1 Mk2s.
Looks like the HB1 Mk2s are a great choice as well, and you'll get great imaging when you're in the tweeter wave-guide's dispersion zone. I doubt, however, that they'll fill the space any better than the Mirage Omnis. The Hsu's are rated down to 60 Hz while the OS3's are rated down to 70 Hz. Both are intended to be used with subwoofers. The Mirages differ by using room reflections to expand the soundstage, whereas the Hsu seeks to avoid them with controlled dispersion. Two different approaches, both valid, and both products have far better driver behavior and linearity than is typical in this price range.
Um, the HSU HB1 MK2 are fantastic speakers. Detail level, speed of dynamics, everything is just way past any other $300 pair of bookshelves. I have had Ninja modded X-LS encores, Totem mites, Rainmakers, Usher 520s, among other bookshelves. These smash those except for the X-LS which were more dynamic but much more forward and punchy.

I have had several floor standers and have a nice pair of 550 MK@ Rockets downstairs; but they do not apply here.

The HB1s just flow. Smooth as a clear river.
I unclear on your requirements? Are you looking for a bookshelf speaker or a desktop computer speaker? Most "bookshelf" sized speakers will need to be stand mounted w/ some air around them in order to image properly.
I cleared the idea with HSU before I bought them. I built a 48" stand which includes my 26" monitor. The HB1s are 30" apart and 36" from the back wall. Still working on it but as it stands, they sound great.