Large soundstage at 2 ft distance?

What I want essentially are bookshelf speakers with as large a sound stage as possible. The placement is from 2 ft away and 3ft apart. Amp is Boston Acoustic avr721 receiver. 120 watts per solid. Needs to be magnetically shielded as they will be close to my monitor.

Looking to stay under $500. Used preferred.

Cheers!
davidandrewway
Mirage OMD-15 or OS3-Sat. You will get an enormous, deep, well-defined soundstage under the conditions you describe, with a dynamic range and power handling you'd never expect.
The Omd-15 looks like a killer little speaker. A bit too much $$ though. Would the OS-3 be that much of a step down?
05-18-09: Davidandrewway
The Omd-15 looks like a killer little speaker. A bit too much $$ though. Would the OS-3 be that much of a step down?
You mean the OMD-5, right? (The OMD-15 is a floorstander.)

Would you give up a whole lot with the OS3-Sat? Probably not. The OMD-5 has just a little more bass extension owing to a slightly bigger driver and cabinet. Their sensitivities are nearly the same and amp range is 10-175 for the OMD-5 and 10-150 for the OS3-Sat. Can't get much closer than that.

Both speakers use the same tweeter and the mid/woofer is identical in construction and materials except for the diameter. At your very short listening distance the OS3-Sat should be just fine. Both can fill a room surprisingly well, especially with a sub.
lol the 15 link goes to 5 so yes the 5 is what I was referring to. Hmm. The OS-3 is decently priced at several places. They will do. I can't think of another type of speaker that could image well at that close proximity.
I think the X-Omni is probably the best speaker for the $$ right now. Even if it is a floorstander, I want something that can do tricks with HT and gaming sound. I have two channel stereo covered downstairs already. These are for a 80% gaming rig.