Tell me about Athena LS 500

I've heard and read everything from better than Monitor Audio RS6's to stuffy and bloated to harsh and thin.
I heard these once about a year ago. I had nothing to a/b them with but remember thinking they seemed pretty good all around, especially for $400.
I can get a new pair for next to nothing but don't want to bother if they don't sound decent. I cannot listen to them first.
If anyone knows these, could you decribe the sound for me, maybe it will jog my memory of them.
Thanks
griffinconst
04-24-09: Ponnie
The LS 500 and another Energy model are very similar at Audio Advisor. I think AA only has the LS300 floorstander now. Athena was doing pretty well and all of a sudden they fell off the map.
That's because Klipsch bought API (parent company of Mirage, Athena, and Energy) a few years ago and decided to drop the Athena line. They also pulled the plug on a couple of Mirage products--a premium powered sub (showed up on their website for about a month) and a $20K "statement" loudspeaker when it was still in the development stage.

I suspect AA bought up the remaining Athena stock, which is why it's priced to move. It's good stuff. I have Mirage speakers throughout my house.
Hi Griffinconst,

Yes.... it comes straight out of the speakers at about
750 miles/hour. :o) Hope that helps!!

Really, I heard I "think" the LS or AS 250's???? A few years
ago, and thought wow, what a great speaker for cheap!!
I think they are thought of as of one the great bang for
the buck speakers.