Good Bookshelf Speakers for a Hearing Loss?

I have a hearing loss where I have less ability to hear high frequency sounds. But my hearing also lacks the normal filtering ability that allows one with good hearing to screen out the harsh or sharp sounds. I find this especially true in jazz. I find many speakers that have precise highs, e.g. B&W 685, too sharp for me after a few minutes of listening. I note on many forums (not Audiogon) that some posters complain about harsh or bright speakers that are really pretty good speakers. While my hifi vocabulary may not be accurate, this perhaps partly explains why some people like speakers that are not precise, defined or neutral and instead like "warm" speakers. So I suppose I am looking for a warm speaker. Any suggestions for new or used bookshelf speakers under $1200? 70% music, 30% HT. Thanks!
lalo23
I sympathize with your condition. Usually, high frequency hearing loss is noise-induced. It also brings with it an intolerance of accentuated high frequency sounds. This is very common, everything from loud concerts to factories. I have heard several speakers that I believe might work. Unfortunately you won't know until you have listened from an hour or more, which one works best. Before you get inundated with everyone's favorite brand, I suggest that you either buy used with the idea that you can sell them if you don't like them, or buy over the internet from a company with a return policy. I like fabric dome tweeters more than I like metal tweeters. It is a generalization that was more true in the past, but to me the metal dome tweeters were too harsh for my ears. Brands with which I am familiar and recommend to you: Dynaudio Focus, Von Schweikert, AV123 (several models). Brands which i have not heard but fit your description (disclaimer): Quad, Ohm, Spendor, Vandersteen. Good luck!
I have high frequency hearing loss, also known as "construction workers syndrome". We didn't realize that homeowners needed hearing protection while working with chainsaws in the 70's. I now own 3 pairs of ear protectors because hearing loss is cumulative. One pair is always out and within reach. (mowing grass, hammering, air-tools, vacuuming)

I have the Kef 103-2 bookshelf speakers which give good clear highs without hurting my ears. Their midrange is superb and I can hear all the lyrics clearly. They give a decent soundstage, i.e. I can hear instruments and voices at different places in the room The bass is not booming, but that's o.k. A tube pre-amp is good for me because I can hear the woodiness or timbre of music in the midrange especially. And a solid state amp with very low distortion works well.

Empirically, one could install an precise equalizer in the system to amplify the exact frequencies one cannot hear well, and lower those one does not want to hear.
I agree with Tgrisham on fabric vs metal tweeters .
But , I feel that speakers are only part of the fix for your problem . The source and amplification can go a long way to giving you what you seek .

Given that , there are a pair of Soliloquy 5.0's listed here for $399 that would give you a nice start . I have owned a pair of their floorstanders and they did help quite a bit , very warm . The only problem is that the company is out of buisness ! Still , for that price it is a very worthwhile speaker to try .

Good luck .