Tweaks for AudioEngine2 Desktop System?

Just opened up a new pair of AudioEngine2 powered speakers this afternoon. Very pleasantly surprised by how good they sound straight out of the box w/ my laptop on my desk at work.

Anybody suggestions for simple and relatively inexpensive improvements/tweaks? For example, any folks with these speakers bother to upgrade speaker wire or interconnects?

Thanks.
Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2
You'll have to experiment to see which volume control method sounds better, if either one does. IME putting the source at max and adjusting the amp volume has been the best, but YMMV as always.

I'm guessing that adding a remote volume control would be a big, big pain unless you got very lucky with component sizes and working space. Most convenient scenario is using the iPod's volume control, hope that works out to be best-sounding.

I think that 'single visible wire' is a mini-to-mini cable and if it is, an upgrade would make a difference.
I got my A2's to ear level by using an old trick from my penniless student days - it's sitting on a brick. Yes I know it's ugly but you can pretty up the brick by wrapping it in paper. The difference is phenomenal if you think about why:

- tweeters now at ear level
- remove the boundary effect from sitting on the table. This cleans up the midrange and bass immensely.

You can couple the speakers to the brick more firmly by putting blu-tak under the speaker.
Tobias:
I was referring to the visible speaker cable that connects the R speaker to the L. I don't want to end up with two mismatched speaker cables.

But, I am also wondering about upgrading the mini-to-mini cable. I am wondering if there are any good audioending forums out there.

Amfibius:
Thanks for the brick suggestion. Nice makeshift idea.