which is your favorite inexpensive stereo system?

I friend of mine would like to buy a 1K (if less even better) two channel system for an small room. So I will appreciate your inputs on which systems (amplifier plus speakers) are your favorites. I just want to learn which system you can setup with those limitations and enjoy everyday.
Thank you for share your experience.

Rodrigo
rverdun
My first system was sub-1k, and I used Kef Q1 monitors. I don't know if the quality went down in the meantime, because I now see they cost even less! Worth looking into. Second the NAD integrated, and even their CDP or a Marantz CDP, would round things up nicely with some left for cheap cables, connects, stands.
One pairing could be a lightly used Sophia Electric Baby integrated with Silverline Minuet monitors.May have enough spare cash from that Grover Cleveland to buy an ok used cdp.
I had a Denon mini system.
Sounded awesome really.
Comes with a sub woofer connection too.
Thank you guys!
All your options sounds great.
I'll try to make him go to a dealer to listen the different setups that you mentioned.
Thanks for your input..... at least now I can give him some recommendations! ;)
Go to Audio Advisor website and take advantage of clearance (if they have any left) of Cambridge Audio 540A or 640A amp and matching CD player, or if friend wants FM, the NAD C-720BEE Stereo Receiver. Many good bargain priced speakers available from NHT, PSB, Paradigm, Polk, etc.. With all due respect to some of the previous recommendations in this thread, some are fairly esoteric, and my guess is that if your friend is not an audiophile, he (or she) will prefer a solid, reliable, fine-sounding piece like the NAD or Cambridge to a tube amp.