Sub users...

I am considering a sub, I have never used one. Something I wonder about though is, certain songs will have drums playing in just one channel, like track 3 on the Dave Brubeck CD "Time Out", it has a cool drum "solo" in the left channel, and other CD's will have drums that will bounce back and forth between the two channels. When using a sub, does this still sound natural?

Brian
brianmgrarcom
Thanks again to everyone for their great responses.

I have been reading about the JL Audio Fathom F113 and one concern I have is that a couple reviews stated that the F113 lacks a high-pass filter, which can be an issue for two-channel use, unless I use an external x-over, which I do not desire to do.

I have also read a few comments here on AG where users have integrated them fine into their two-channel systems with no extras.

Any thoughts on this?

Ras422 - The little guy is now 2 and depending on the song he runs around "dancing" to the music.

Brian
I have been reading about the JL Audio Fathom F113 and one concern I have is that a couple reviews stated that the F113 lacks a high-pass filter, which can be an issue for two-channel use, unless I use an external x-over, which I do not desire to do.

You can always use the sub to fill in and run the mains full range.
Shardone, I have read this elsewhere too, can you explain more?

If I used an external x-over I would cut some of the speakers lower end and control the output of the sub? Without the x-over, the speakers perform as normal and I control the upper limit of the sub, and "fill-in" the bottom? I guess I always imagined the speakers running full range and the sub filling in the bottom.

Sorry, I am a sub newbie! I hope I follow. Can you expalin possible negative effects of running the mains full range?

Lastly, if I were to go the external x-over route, does one have to spend a lot of money to get a good x-over?

I very much like what I read about the F113's, specifically using two of them, and desire to go this route. That said, while I want to do it right, cost is a factor.
i have found that the only way i can get seamless integration with my sub (for 2 chan) is to center it between the l/r. this is most noticeable in situations like you describe, drums that move across the soundstage. this is also thiels recommendation for placement if it is primarily 2 chan listening, 1 sub.
i rarely use it for 2 chan as i think the bass is adequate without.
you can try the subs with your speakers running full range and fill in the botoom ie 35-60 hz and down or get an external xover which I use and get increase in dynamics etc from your mains --2 schools of thought on this with lots of opinions either way --you just have to try and decide which way you like it---rich--glad the little one is dancing :)