Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Orpheus10, that recording of "On Green Dolphin Street" is classic; jazz just doesn't get better than this. Agree about Evan's intro. He was one of those pianists that had such a distinctive tone on the piano; an instrument that one thinks has a "built in" tone. There was a sense of melancholy and introspection in most of what he played. Technically speaking, that lush, even subdued quality in his sound was due partly to his preference for not highlighting any one note in a chord; each note of a chord was perfectly balanced with the others. Many players stress or play louder either the top note or some other note of the chord voicing; this produces a different color/feeling. For me, the highlight of the recording is Trane. When he makes his entrance it is as if the sun suddenly comes up; it's a beautiful moment. It has been mentioned many times that one of the things that made Miles brilliant was his ability to assemble players that, while possessing clearly distinctive styles, created ensembles with a rare ability to compliment each other in spite of their differences of style. Great stuff.

Frogman, that came out in 58, and from that time forward I collected many LP's with Bill Evans as a sideman. My young life was fast and frenetic, consequently I only noticed the most famous players I recognized on an LP. Not too long ago, I was wandering "Who is Bill Evans"? Not realizing how many LP's I owned with him as a sideman. My point in mentioning this is that Bill never called attention to himself, he simply made everyone else's music sound better.

Beyond any shadow of a doubt, Miles greatest talent, was recognizing talent in new musicians.

Enjoy the music.
******* Miles greatest talent, was recognizing talent in new musicians********

I always thought that title went to Blakey. Just glancing at the Miles CDs I have on the desk, 'Milestones' and 'Round About Midnight', the lineups read like a who's who of the Jazz world.

Coltrane, Adderley, Monk, Mulligan, Garland, Chambers etc... I think Miles got the best to play with him because if was mutually beneficial to all. A win / win situation. He was a star, so everyone wanted to play with him, and they made him a bigger star, while gaining a rep for themselves.

Just one man's uninformed opinion. :)

Cheers
In spite of Miles' well-known ego (some would say arrogance), he was a true artist; the music always came first. I don't think he thought much about who would be able to make him a bigger star by virtue of that player's presence in the band. He was extremely forward-looking musically and was able to understand how a sideman's style would enhance and help shape "the whole" of his music's sound; even when a player was not fully developed yet. When Trane first played with Miles, Trane was still at the stage of his career when a lot of people were still saying "what the hell is that?"; his approach was so different, and many thought is was bullshit. How wrong they were.