How to divide a budget between components

Hello All,

I recently read through an interesting thread on AG in the speaker section on the best way to allocate one's budget for a system (the consensus was to put about half towards the speakers and the remainder towards everything else).

So on that note, what is the best way to allocate one's non-speaker budget? There seems to be a growing number of improved components to buy that are supposed to make a big difference. Where would a person's money be best spent? Below are some items to possibly consider for a components budget. For this example, the components budget would be $10K (keeps the math easy) and the speakers would be worth around $15k. I know the allocation would vary on more factors (such as music preference, digital vs analogue focus, etc) but I'm wondering as a general overall rule what has worked best?

Amplifier
Pre-amp
Turn table
Turn table cartridge
CD player
DAC
Surge protection
Speaker cables
Power cables
Equipment racks/tables
Room treatments
(Are there any I missed?)
xerotrace
On a serious note...I'm a speakers first guy...then upgrade electronics at your leisure... Fwiw...my smallest expenditure is cables, accessories...just my .02
I agree that opinions on this will vary widely, but what the heck, I might as well offer another.

I believe it depends on budget. For example at budget under 10K I think a balanced approach of ~25% for speakers, amplification, single source, cables/tweeks makes sense. However, if one had 100K then one might consider a greater % toward the speakers. Must admit to having no experience at the latter budget catagory.
My two most expensive components were sources.
TT then CD player in that order.
In my opinion the best sounding systems are those where every component works well with all others and no real weak link can be identified. This is also known as synergy.

And its also been my experience that to assign percentages from a total budget on what each component should be allocated doesn't work to achieve this synergy. Match specs and performance - not dollars.

I drive a $2200 pair of speakers with a $2500 amp and couldn't be happier after trying many other combos using the so-called allocation recommendations.

Its all about how it sounds brother, not what it costs!