New Gallo 3.5's

Prototypes of new Gallo 3.5's being shown at CES. I have the 3.1's and am a big fan. These new Gallo's look really nice. May even convert some of you high enders out there who snub Gallo speakers. Go to link: http://www.soundstage2.com/lasvegas2009/sd07.html
bostonbean
Just for yucks, here is a picture I mocked up of how the stand will look...

[img]http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=129755&stc=1&d=1231954709[/img]

I'll use the threads for the spikes in the stock base to bolt it to the custom base, and then fill the custom base with sand or shot.

The added mass, and with of the base, should do a good job of adding additional stability, and the additional 7.5" in height should do a good job of raising the projected sound stage.
Barry wondered:
"Not to pick nits, but isn't it more like $200 since you need to buy 2 sets of out-riggers at $100 each?"

Weeeelllll, I contacted the company owner, Paul, and was able to negotiate a price of $99 + shipping for 2 sets, enough to do both of my front speakers. I bet if you referenced my conversation, and asked him nicely, he might accommodate you, too...

LikeCoiledSteel wrote:
"I cannot see the Outriggers being more stable than my stands. "

Who knows? I wasn't able to find any stands on the Sound Anchors website that were specifically for the Gallos. I *do* know that my speakers are quite stable now, much more so than stock. And I'm betting the Sound Anchor stands cost a *wee* bit more than what I paid.

As for the sound, hard to say. The speakers sounded really good before, and they still sound really good. I know for a fact that they sound much better upright than they do on their sides - and this was the situation once my daughter's (BIG) puppy blew thru the room and took one down. =8^0

-RW-
Well in that case RW, an excellent purchase. I may add a set of those to the bottom of the stands that Scott is building for me for even greater width. Thanks for the info!
LikeCoiledSteel wrote:
"I cannot see the Outriggers being more stable than my stands. "

"Who knows? I wasn't able to find any stands on the Sound Anchors website that were specifically for the Gallos. I *do* know that my speakers are quite stable now, much more so than stock. And I'm betting the Sound Anchor stands cost a *wee* bit more than what I paid."

I was referring to the "outriggers" on the new 3.5's, not your aftermarket ones. They seem like a good deal. The 3.5 ones look cheap to me and is a hard pill to swallow at double the price, regardless of the other changes. The Gallo stands are not on the SA site, but you can see mine on page 4 of the Gallo AVS thread. I think they were $500/pair, but since I bought my 3.1's used, they came free with the set.
Steel
"maybe a little more if I decide to add custom spikes"

Barry - so I'm clear the options are:

1) reuse Ref spikes on the Stein stands
2) buy new spikes for the Stein stands

If you go with option 2 then you get something like this:

http://www.steinaudio.com/images/IMG_9263_4_2_.JPG

and it looks like you will get increased stability as the spikes are pushed out all the way to the corners.

RW - Agree the Refs 3s would not make good horizontal center channel speaker :) No dogs here, but we do have cats and birds (I know, I know...). Love to watch the cats on aggressive surround sound discs: the head/ear darts from speaker to speaker are hilarious. The parakeet loves the music and sings right along with it. LOUDLY! He goes crazy when I play a nature/bird song CD. Probably shouldn't tease them like that, but it's better than tying a balloon to the cat's tail!