Spendor S8e or Vandersteen 3A-Sig or ?

I'm considering an upgrade from my Vandersteen 2Ce-Sigs and would appreciate hearing your opinions. Has anyone had the opportunity to audition (or A/B) the Spendor S8e and the Vandersteen 3A Sig speakers?

We listen to jazz, vocals and acoustic folk. The rest of our system consists of Arcam AVR350, Cambridge 850C, with Acoustic Zen IC's and speaker cables.

Any input is very much appreciated.
cdm
I listened to both and wound up buying the S8es. I'd have to concur with Mlsstl above. The Vandersteens made nice sounds - especially with tubes, but the Spendors were a much tighter more focused sound. They image wonderfully, although they do have a relatively small sweet spot. They also become noticibly more transparent with the grills off. I've had mine for a little over four years now and I'm still very happy with them.
I listened to the S8e's against the Harbeth SHL-5 at a dealer and found the Harbeth a much more enjoyable speaker, and with more bass. Electronics were Quad. In that setting I found the Spendor's boring compared to the Harbeth. After bringing home the Harbeth's, I still own my Tyler Linbrooks, however, and have since sold the others.
I have not heard the Vandersteen, only the Quatro at a dealer. It was nice, but based on what I heard in a short audition it did not move me enough to consider further listening or switching. I would have called it a more refined and scientific sound than the others. Not enough time to really give a good analysis though.
Wow, thanks for all the fine input! Why did I think this would be easier? Every ones opinion, regardless of whether they prefer the Vandys or the Spendors, seems well founded.

Jimmy, your comments were particularly interesting due to my own feelings pertaining to my Vandy 2Ce's. I really, really appreciate the detail and accuracy, but they can seem too clinical, or uninvolving. Does that make sense?

I thought about getting some Vandy subs to supplement the low end and free up the mid-range in the 2Ce's, but that's a large, and further commitment toward the Vandy camp.

Incidentally, my room is not ideal. One (right speaker)end of the room is open to the dining room and kitchen and the ceilings are cathedral... but that's a whole other conundrum.
Incidentally, my room is not ideal.
Actually, that is a good argument for the Spendors. Their tight focus is one result of running a higher crossover point between an 8" mid/woofer and the tweeter. This makes them more directional in the mid-to-upper range of fundamentals where the ear is fairly sensitive.

While that gives them the small sweet spot, it also helps make them a bit more insensitive to room irregularities. I've got a room with a 7 foot opening immediately next to my right speaker with a small doorway and couch next to the left speaker. However, when you're positioned between the two speakers in that sweet spot, things just pop into focus with a very natural and easy 3-D quality.

In your case, if there is anyway to audition speakers in your own room before you buy, it'll be well worth it.
Yes, it does make sense. As many have said, I recommend taking your time; try as many as you can in your room while keeping your current speakers and comparing them against the new ones. Many dealers will let you take home a pair over a weekend and some manufacturers offer a home trial. You'll save yourself a lot of money and time if you go that route ! At the end hopefully you can find something you can enjoy for the long haul. There are so many great speakers out there... and so much depends on room size and issues (which you have) and associated equipment that limiting yourself to a couple models may have you searching again in a year or so.