Hi Wilson W/P8 owners, best amp ever to drive WP8?

I have a pair of W/P8 for over a year, used with Krell 700cx amp. The system sounds great but I crave for a little more warmth and glow in the midrange, overall airiness in the treble and soundstage plus a more natural/real presence of acoustics. I have audition Audio Research Ref210s with W/P8, love the sound but was bothered by the overly full mid bass(typical of tube amp?) and the slight loss of focus and precision when compared to my Krell amp. Well controlled bass and a tight mid bass are top priority. What amps, SS or tubes, have you owned that optimise the sound performance of your W/P8s. Thanks for sharing your experience.
arwp
I did listen to a system with Wilson Audio Maxx 2 driven by ASR Emitter Exclusive...."Incredible".

Not your typical solid state sound that's for sure.

Other amplifiers were home auditioned , Mark Levinson, Krell and Sim Audio before settling with ASR.

I don't know how much the Watt Puppys differ electronically from the Maxx.
For sure the ASR Emitter is one great amp with the Wilson and should be on your short list.
SS is excellent advice, but some of us have had excellent results with tube amps. In my case I settled on Lamm ML 2.1 Monos. They have all the power, detail, transparency, sound stage I look for while producing beautiful music. They are a touch darker than neutral.

Maybe Raul can explain why Lamm's 18W amps can do this? Is it current?
Gerrym5
Nice system...I bet the Lamm mono's DO sound absolutely fabulous with the Wilson's also.
Dear Gerrym5: There is no doubt that your Lamm's are good tube design amplifiers aand that its quality performance is between the tube technology limitations that between other things means a high output impedance, depending on the " tap " the 2.1 goes from 1 Ohms to 2 Ohms that are considering high output impedances.

What happen with a high output amplifier impedance against the speaker electrical impedance is that exist anon-matched impedances and then the amplifier response instead to be flat fluctuate ( with differeces on SPL all over the speaker electrical impedance/frequency response ).
The response/what we are hearing in those conditions is a " equalization " on the signal due ( between other things ) to that un-matched impedances.
That " equalization "/deviations/colorations does not happen ( everything the same ) when the amplifier has a low output impedance ( say 0.1 Ohm ) and can match the speaker one.

Now, you like what you are hearing, you like those deviations/amplifier equalization, but that does not means is the best way to go with that speaker.

Just imagine your Lamm's with a low output impedance, that will be like " heaven " but unfortunately nothing is perfect and we have to choose the best trade-offs according our music-sound quality performance priorities.

Btw, Arwp the Krell Evolution could be well an " evolution " from what you own.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.