2-way speaker with best bass

I know all the arguments about how crossovers can screw up loudspeakers, and hence the many inherent advantages of 2-ways over multi-driver designs. But there comes a point where the laws of physics can only be bent so far...

So... what IYO is the 2-way speaker that most successfully plumbs the depths, that provides the best full, but "tight and tuneful", bass, with good pitch definition, without completely messing up the higher registers?

For the moment, let's not worry about how this achievement might affect impedance and sensitivity.
128x128twoleftears
I had a pair of those Altec 19's. Wish I had them back. Sold them in the early 80's when I didn't know diddly squat. But, once thing I can say, that even with large drivers in a large cabinet, the bass was not really that 'deep'. Tight/fast absolutely and they produced some fairly high SPL's without overloading my room or distorting. Very impressive I think. I'd love to hear them now with tubes. :-)
If you'd like to hear for yourself how Pat McGinty managed his tradeoff in the Shearwater design, you're welcome. Drop me a line if you come to Montreal.

Thanks! I'm not heading that way anytime soon but I appreciate the offer.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but take a good look at the SP Technology Timepiece 3.0
Good call, Spenceroo. I forgot about the Timepiece - it definitely belongs in this thread.

Duke
11-17-08: Spenceroo
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but take a good look at the SP Technology Timepiece 3.0

Nice but be aware of.......... what are you going to pair them with.
Few amps work really well with SPs. Hungry little buggers. Tube pre also helps.
IMO

Mariusz