Nova Utopia Be or Dynaudio Temptation\Wilson Maxx

This is my first posting, so hi there from Australia.

I'm having a hard time deciding on my next speaker purchase and hopefully I can hear some of your thoughts so I can finally make a decision.

I currently have a pair of Dynaudio C4 and I’m looking at upgrading to JMlab Nova Utopia Be, Dynaudio Evidence Temptation or Wilson Puppy\Maxx. Or if anyone knows anything about the new Focal Utopia range I would be interested.

I have previously owned the Dynaudio Contour s5.4 and C2, B&W 802, Wilson Sophia and other bits and pieces. Amplification is currently Gryphon Antileon. Source is currently Mark Levinson 30.6 DAC and Mark Levinson 31.5 Transport. With MIT Oracle 2.1 speakers cables and MIT Oracle 2.2 interconnects.

I am leading towards Nova Utopia as I liked the sound of the Wilson Sophia and have been told that the Nova sound similar. I don’t know if the Dynaudio Evidence Temptation is better than the Nova Utopia or if I would prefer the Wilson Watt Puppy \ Maxx.

But then I guess it comes down to the usual ‘personal preference’ ‘room size’.

It's not easy to find and listen to this speakers in Australia so if anyone has any information or experiences....
r_paton
If I may add another speaker to the list I would check out the Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary. Great dynamics and details without the tilted up treble. Most of all a supremely musical presentation. May be worth a look for you.

Blessings, Bob
I also heard Dynaudio Sapphire in Singapore, I lived there for 2 years and just moved back to US. Like you, I was not impressed. Many will not agree (including Bar81), but I believe any good audio components should sound at least good in the dealer show room and better at home. If it can't even sound good there, it is either "bad" or just not your cup of tea.

I also heard Gryphon Atlantis in Adelphi and Taiwan audio show; they sounded much better in Taiwan audio show BTW. In Adelphi, dealer was using Gryphon amp (the new one) and sounded better than the initial setup which was Rogue Zeus. The top end still has a trace of ceramic sound, meaning hard and stiff. but midrange and below are pretty musical. I like paper cones for woofer, though a bit slower than hard cones, they have more soul.

one speaker I can't praise high enough is Usher BE-20. I was ready to trade in my Cremona in my second system for the BE-20, only reason I haven't done so is I am moving soon.
I haven't heard the Usher BE-20 but have read some reviews about them and they seem good value for money.

A friend of mine managed to organise a session to listen to the original JMLab Utopia http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/273/

Sounded very clean and detailed but was not blown away. He's been trying to get the best out of them but the room wasn't ideal. He said they sounded brilliant in his friend's room.
The Dynaudio Temptation has great transparency, rich tone colors and a very tall soundstage. The Temptetion's top two octaves are a little bright, the presentation is open and airy. The bass is tight, lean and refined.

The Wilson Maxx has great dynamics, would play louder than the Temptation's, goes deeper and delivered a more robust bass. The midrange lack some coherence, upper midrange lack in thr presence region. Top octaves lack the clarity and air of the Temptation's.

The JMLab Nova Utopia will replace next month by an Utopia EM series.

I would check out also the Magico V3 or the Revel Ultima Salon2.
Avalon will have soon a new Eidolon Dimond.