Laid Back Speakers amps, players etc

I've heard this term so many times, usually describing a speaker but I can't seem to understand what it actually means. I've heard so many equipment in this hobby the last 8 years but I have never heard something that I could describe as "Laid Back".
I would be very interested to know your definition of this term...
argyro
Hello Ngjockey -

So, I have always used that term as non agressive, not highlighting any frequency band, and yes, at times a presentation that was behind the plane of the speakers. In essence similiar to the meaning I always took for "laid back" in any description... within reason. Not neccessarily always in a physical sense but also by personality.

Dipoles - Nola comes to mind... I have heard the Viper 1 and 2, so yep... I see your point.
I guess I keep thinking of my Spendors, they are definitely "laid back, polite, non aggressive, a bit thick in the middle".

Interesting.

By the way on a side note do you have any experience with the Nola Viper 1a?
Hmmm... you make some very valid points Mrtennis.

So, I always here reviewers say this component had a front row character, or a mid hall, or a back of the arena.

So is the sound colored if the designer of a speaker prefers a mid hall presentation? Or is it colored if another designer prefers the front of the arena?

I may be off base here :o) But I think with respect to a speaker showing a laid back characteristic, that designer may prefer being in the back of the hall and his/her presentation is going to mimic that. As opposed to the other designer who prefers the front row center.
Which is colored? They both heard the same show?

If the laid back speaker still has the lead vocals in the forefront of the band, but it is presented only at the plane of the speaker it is still true to the recording(to him). While the first row guy has the lead vocal in front of the plane and in your face.

Just another viewpoint.
whenever a designer voices a product in a certain way, it incorporates an intended characteristic. as i understand it, that's coloration.

coloration is either intentional or unintentional.

at any price point, it is almost impossible to create a product having no audible sonic signature. it is unrealistic to expect otherwise.

thus, choose your coloration wisely. configuring a stereo system is an art of balancing intended and unintended coloration to achieve a sound that pleases the listener.

personally, i prefer a rear hall or laid back perspective, but i realize orchestral recordings are not engineered that way.
I agree with just about all of your comments.

However, I believe I have a different viewpoint on "colored".

To me it refers to the tonal balance. Meaning a certain frequency range is highlighted, therefore it is "colored".
Uncolored = (neutral) tonality
Now I am sure as hell open to be corrected on my understanding of "colored" :o) I am sure some other members of the forum will add their thoughts.
But that was how I took the term.
hi classe30:

i agree with your view of colored. i think the concept can be applied to the subject of the thread. a laid back perspective has a non neutral tonal balance.

thus, front row, mid hall and rear hall have different frequency response characteristsics. as i have said, i prefer a rear hall or laid back presentation, and i admit it is not accuracy.