Class D at low volume

Hi,

How do class D amps behave at low volume levels?  My question is general rather than related to a particular amp.  I know there are exceptions, but as a rule, SET’s and class A SS excel at low volume.  What about class D?  Is low volume performance of class D predetermined, all else being equal? Do class D amps have a comfort zone?  Do they distort more at low volume or is it uniform throughout?  For the purpose of this question I am only referring to analog input amps and not the ones that take in PCM (e.g. NAD M2).

The second part of my question is as follows.  I’m interested in some higher end commercial class D amps from the likes of lab.gruppen, powersoft, mc2, XTA, etc. due to their network-ability as in, I can control them, DSP them, and stream digital, all via RJ45, at the same time dispensing with all the extra boxes and cables.  But, they are all of very high power from 100‘s to 1000‘s of watts.  Does this mean that in a domestic setting at low volume they operate much closer to their noise floor or is this different with class D?

Thanks
serge_s
Kijanki your right on the money,the Tim distortions can be very can be very fatiguing without noticing it
Serge,

You asked:

"Thanks Noble100. Speaking of feedback, what do you think of Benchmark AHB2."

Sorry, I've never listened to the Benchmark AHB2 or read any reviews on it yet. I've read very positive reviews on Benchmark DACs, however, and knew they recently came out with a couple of new class D amp products. If I were to venture a guess, I'd bet that the obvious care and attention to detail they devote to their high quality DACs is likely to also be devoted to their amps.

Mapman,

I've read your comments about class D, on this thread and several others, and typically find your impressions on this evolving technology closely mirror my own. I think that 2 independent users of class D amps having such similar impressions of their high quality performance, among other benefits, speaks volumes about the excellent high-end bargains these amps actually are. It seems like we're both now drinking the class D Kool-Aid.... but only because it's delicious.

Bombaywalla and Kijanki,

Thank you both for explaining things in more detail.

Bombaywalla, you stated:

"The way class-D architecture was invented/designed/formulated, global negative feedback is part of its entity. So, just because you read global negative feedback you shouldn't relate it in the same way as you would to GNFB in a class-A, AB power amp. The class-D architecture needs GNFB while class-A, AB architectures have topologies that can do with little or no GNFB."

I realize that many traditional amp designers have considered the use of GNFB in their amps to be something to be avoided since the early tube designs, believing having zero feedback improved sound quality. Solid-state amp designers seemingly just adopted this low/or no GNFB principle in their next generation class A and A/B amps.

I also realize class D amp designers have taken a radically different approach, embracing GNFB and making it an integral circuit within the amp to lower noise and distortion levels as well as to ensure the input signal faithfully matches the outputted signal.

In my visits to various hi-end audio shops over the years, I've listened to many systems powered by tube, class A and A/B amps (with zero and low GNFB design) that sounded excellent. However, most of these amps exceeded my budget by a large amount.

From my layman's perspective, good class D amps that utilize high levels of GNFB represent a great alternative that is more cost effective and energy efficient means of achieving excellent sound.

I'm not technically savy enough to know what the main reason is for my class D amps' excellent performance. I just know they are lightweight, small in size, sip electricity, run cool and sound great.

But I think Paypet's comment probably drives the point home the best:

"Listening to wyred for the last month , difference between wyred and wytech ruby mono blocks , wyred $2995 , ruby $25000 , can't pick out the differences they are that close ,doing A B tests for 3 weeks nothing stands out in either one , will keep trying."

That is a very honest and powerful testimonial.

I apologize for getting a bit off topic from Serge's original post question and am now stepping off my class D soapbox.

Tim
Tim, GNFB serves the same role in class D as it does in class AB - reduces distortions, widens bandwidth, reduces output impedance. It is not necessary for operation in general but particular circuit can be designed to depend on it.

Since even shallow 20dB of GNFB will improve everything tenfold it is very tempting to use it. It can be done without negative effect if certain rules are obeyed but then GNFB will be shallow. Designer has to start with good design and quality components to start with and not to fix everything with GNFB.

As for new Benchmark amp - it is class AB with SMPS supply.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1214/Benchmark_Media_AHB2_Stereo_Power_Amplifier_Review.htm

Pavpet, yes TIM distortion can be fatiguing. It is basically an overshoot, in time domain, of the rapidly changing signal. It won't show with any THD or IMD measuring. In freqeuncy domain it translates to very audible odd order harmonics that our hearing is sensitive to. It makes sound bright. In extreme cases (perhaps some SS amps in 70s) overshoot was so big that it could choke output transistors that remained choked for a while (charge trapped at the junction) creating short gaps in music. These gaps were not audible, since our brain compensates for that, but made listeners very tired.
lots of great thought in this forum discussing class d amplifiers, being an audiophile since 1970 , and owning very expensive gear , its nice to purchase a product at a very very resonable price , and make magic , the wyetech ruby monoblocks list for approx $25000, plus ive installed 1942 rca 211 radiotron tubes , ( took out stock tubes as well as input tubes)AT an additional $3300 , plus upgraded power cords , but thats the audiophile journey , this i know , but now and then its nice to get a breath of fresh air ,without getting a second mortgage. guys thanks for all your input very much appreciated
Tim: thanks for getting off topic. This thread is educational for me and hopefully for many others as well.

Thanks for your comments folks! Please keep the discussion going.