Active Speakers: The usual suspects ....

I'm interested in purchasing 'active' loudspeakers for a planned surround system. Although the "usual suspects" such as Quad, JBL, Dynaudio, KRK, Genelec, ATC, and PMC are ALL good/great speakers, I am wondering if there are other active speakers to consider that I haven't listed?

I did listen to DigiDesign RM2 active speakers designed by PMC. I felt, like many of the reviewers have stated, that they were overpriced at $3500 pr (and out of my price range).

Again, I'm seeking a suggestion or two concerning active monitors that might not be as well known as those I've listed.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Thank You
sedona
Unfortunately, the MM27 comes in at $7,000 pair (street price), which is way out of my price range

Yes - but look at what you get for all that! Plug in an iPod into these babies and you will be in serious rock heaven - nothing else required! Jack Black eat your heart out. Four ten inch woofers - OMG - absolutely ideal for highest quality rocking out in a small space! Despite the high price tag this is actually pretty good value.

In my next life I want an iPod and a pair of these in my college dorm room. ;-)
Shadorne- would they be good for audiophile listening? or is it strictly for nearfield monitoring.
Shadorne, I'd be interested to know what you compared the MM27 to. Some folks I know who bought them have only previously owned NS10 and such. I have not been inclined to listen to Barefoot, since I won't spend that budget and like my separate amplifier setups.

And I have talked with some mixing engineers who own them and were disappointed that they could not turn off/rebalance the integral subwoofers. I far prefer being able to mix/master with switchable subs to have mains only, subs only, mains + subs.

Steve
I'd say it is quite similar to ATC SCM100 in sound - really tight bass and a bit less forward in the upper mids - however the dispersion is narrower so definitely more suited to near field or smaller rooms.
Yes, thanks, but I was asking if you did actual hands on (ears on) side by side listening of the MM27 in A/B with other speakers or monitors. In your place or...?

Steve