Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 5.1 or..

Sophias?

They are around the same price in the used market?
Any obvious choices?

Please note, performance and looks are both vital!
rapogee
IMO ..Although im not a fan at all of the Wilson sound,the Sophia has a better overall presentation than the WP..I also feel the sophia has better resale down the road.. That could be a buying point down the road when you move in another direction..for me, I would spend my $$$ elsewhere
I think coonery makes an important statement "I am not a fan at all of the Wilson Sound . . ." and then prefers the Sophia's over the W/P. I think this is common, people not liking the Wilson sound but liking the Sophias. This is the same reason why I am not a fan of the Sohpias, they lack the Wilson sound. If I am going to pay that much money, why should I buy a speaker that sounds like so many others, but for a lot more money. While I think the Sohpia is a good, even a very good speaker, I think that it sounds like too many other speakers. I think the Sophia was David Wilson's attempt to expand his market share by offering a product that does not incorporate the Wilson sound (so much), but will appeal to people who like the B&W, VS, Focal/JM Lab and other "sounds". This was probably a very good move on his part and I suspect over time, people that own the Sophia's will start to realize that they like more the other Wilson speakers as the Sophias are moving people from the "other referenced branded sounds" to a little bit more detail, resolution and energy.

On the point of resale values of New Sophia's vs. other Wilson speakers, I am not so sure about lost value. As for buying used Sophia's vs. used other Wilson speakers (W/P in particular), I would disagree with this. I have purchased a pair of 5.1s and then an additional 5.1 puppy and single watt. I can sell my three speakers for the exact same amount I have paid for them (as I have received offers to do so). During this same time frame, the Sophias have dropped about $1,800 and the Sophia 2s about $1,000 from their used price when I bought my W/P.

Again, I think those buying the Sophia's are new Wilson customers more so than those buying the W/P. As such, I suspect the Sophia's are selling at closer to list price than perhaps the other Wilson speakers (I have also purchased brand new Wilson speakers in the past, that is my refence).
I think this is a very good thread. I like some parts of the "Wilson sound" but over the long term to my tastes it gets old. I wonder how many Wilson owners really have a chance to compare to Von Schweikert speakers which IMHO are less HIFI more natural music. I mean no disrespect to Wilson owners and I hope you get great joy from your speakers. I am just suggesting that a prospective buyer might not buy Wilsons just because they are Wilsons.
Of course everything has been said pro and con about the Wilson sound...IMO,all im saying is I feel that the sophia would be an easier sell when the time comes to move on than an outdated WP5.1 system...and for me I wouldnt be interested in either
Inhisservice, You are right in that people should listen to "Von Schweiker" (as you stated, and many other brands) vs. Wilson. I couldn't agree with you more, that there will be people that don't like the Wilson sound, and these people should obviously not buy Wilson speakers (or anything they don't actually like the sound of). And nobody, certainly, should buy any product on name alone, Wilson or otherwise.

I can't speak for the ease of sale of Sohpia's VS. W/P (or other models) as I have never owned the Sophias. My feeling is that the Sohpias are the entry into the Wilson sound, taking one only part of the way. This being said, there is likely to be many people who feel that this is the sound they like and want. They are excellent speakers. The Sophia 2s seem to be selling at roughly 50% as of now.

Wilson to VS sound? It is a personal matter. I feel that the Wilson delivers what is on the recording better and more accurately. But I can also understand why and how other people would prefer the VS sound. Again, this makes more the point that it is and should be personal preference. I won't ever state that the Wilson (any model) is the best speaker, producing the best sound for such are only opinions and matters of personal taste.