REL Subwoofer Cable Upgrade?

I've read in various forums that upgrading the cable that runs from amp to REL subwoofer can make a substantial sonic difference. These discussion all reference cables in the $700 to $800 range.

I have to believe that one can achieve a substantial portion of this improvement for $100 or $200? Do any of you have experience with this and some recommendations?

Thank you.
Art
artmaltman
Because the input impedance is so high (~100K ohms) the cable is really just responsible for a voltage reference. That along with the fact that it is only used down deep in the bass (below 80hz) will help to minimize the sonic contribution of the cable used.

Still, that doesn't mean that there won't be any sonic changes with different cables. I would recommend trying something solid core as an upgrade to the stock stranded wire supplied from REL. It doesn't need to be a large gauge given that there is no real current involved. Silver plated copper solid conductors might be interesting as I have found them to result in tighter bass.
I own a Rel B3 and tried many cables and I found the Synergistic Tesla Rel Spec 2 to be the best. The cable company can send you a demo. TAS reviewed the previous model Rel Spec Phase II X2 and said it is a must have and I agree.
"I would recommend trying something solid core as an upgrade to the stock stranded wire supplied from REL."

Aha - back to the "coat hanger" conversation?

Seriously, I'm tempted to call the Cable Company as a next step - I remember they had a great loaner service.

Have any of you tried soldering the Neutrik onto a cable? I'm pretty sold now on shorting the stock cord, I'd like to solder a Neutrik onto the second piece, for future flexibility.

Thx
Art
Art, for $200 you can achieve a big difference in bass quality for your REL sub. I tried an extra pair of Cardas Crosslinks I had and put the neutrik end on them for my MJ 200s. The difference was not subtle. Bass was tighter, cleaner and had more umph to it. The Neutrik end screws off with the wires clamped inside with a small set screw. It is also marked + and - for proper polarity.

I did keep this set up for a while then tried the SR PhaseIIs. It did require a bit more tweaking but it was worth it. If you have one sub, give the Cable Co. a call for a loaner or an affordable used one if available.
Personally, I'd forget the cable. An audiophile friend of mine that replaced the rectifiers in the amp of his REL sub reaped better sonic benefits than any cable could ever hope to.