Stereophile review of Escalante Fremont

Has anyone read Stereophile review (Feb '08) of Escalante Design Fremont spkrs ?
Reviewed by Larry Greenhill & measured by Jon Atkinson .

How come they make a review of the spkrs without proper setup :
- LG didn't attached the stand spikes because of his new wood floor & put some bad comments (nasal / coloured tonal).
- JA measured the spkrs with above condition .
- No information if the spkrs burned-in

In my experience , result could be very sensitive for full range spkrs setup ( freq. resp : 18 hz - 50 khz ) .

How can such a great magazine editor allow to publish review with above condition ?

Really different with Positive-Feedback (by Greg Weaver) & Stereo Times (by Dave Thomas & Greg Petan) reviews .
This three reviewers has bought Fremont after made the review .

Seems our international respectable Stereophile magazine has a lot of degradation in their quality .
Is there politics inside this magazine ?
What a waste review ... i think ...
riwin_h
I heard the Fremonts at RMAF 07 and liked what I heard. The sound was open and spacious with what I thought a bit of overhang on the bottom end. Listening to this speaker, I would not expect a frequency graph to depict the results published in Stereophile.
Interesting, I had 2 people that lived near me owning these.. They both ended up feeling after 6 months to a year of use their time to shine had expired.. Not sure, I heard them, okay but nothing all that astonishing to me. They lacked that jump factor of dynamics, and bass was pretty shy. Both sets were run on very top shelf equimpment, one pair was even setup with the 27,000 dollar Jadis mono amps.. I think they are not a bad speaker, but for the hardware used in them they are way out of the price range in my opinion.. More like a 7500 to 10 k class vs. a 15,000 is I think the biggest detriment to them. The one guy ended up listening at my place and was blown away by the open soundstaging, well endowed bass, very dynamic range of what I had setup, he bought the speakers I own the following day and sold of the escalantes. So its gonna be opinions and your own final solution that dictates whether a review is correct or not. By the way I could care less about stereophile or the opinion given, just seems sometimes they might hit something on the head whether it has anything to do with advertising, politics or whatever.
Regarding the measurements, I have a friend who recently bought the Fremonts, and they measure in his room in a manner that is very close to Atkinson's measurements. That being said, my friend likes the sound of the speakers and, at least at this stage of the game, does not detect troublesome timbral inaccuracies or problematic colorations. The speakers were purchased used and are believed to be properly burned in. The speakers are also set up correctly on the spikes.

I have not heard the speakers, so I don't have a personal view as to their performance.