Room Treatments and WAF? Long

Living area with H/T and 2 channel combined. This is our main room for everything. It is 22'6" W by 16'9" with the h/t on the long wall. Wall to the right is only 3'6" tall and joins to the kitchen. Left wall is the fireplace(never used). Rear wall is a big problem. Two large windows (roughly 3'w x 5't) with a french door between them. Cathedral ceiling, carpetted floors with a large sectional couch positioned 12'from the front wall.

I know that the room needs treatment. Particularly the first reflection points but wondering if I can treat just the left wall since the right is so short and open to another room.

The biggest problem I think is the rear. All that glass! Significant other does not want curtains but could probably be persuaded if I could come up with something that would allow her to have the open look when she wants it. Any suggestions?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve
scoly1
I went back and re-read my posts. I can't find any references to fish tanks. I simply recommended what I have found to work. I apologize if this offends you in some way. It is obvious I am ill equipped to debate a razor-sharp intellect like yourself. I can't even figure out what ***HHHHHHHHUUUUUUSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAA*** means.
Ckoffend
Plants? Wife loves plants. Great idea. Thanks! Not sure on the curtains but will work toward them or fabric covered slats as recommended below.
Herman
I have very limited knowledge (don't have any idea how a room interacts) about these things but keep reading about 1st reflections. Will have to do some research on the Eighth Nerve also. Interesting.
Shadorne
Just learning about room treatment and first reflection seems to be something everyone recommends. Can you help me understand why it is less of a problem on a 23 ft wall?
Listening position is 12' From the front wall.
Would have to do some creative communicating to be allowed moving the h/t in front of the fireplace. Fireplace is just in front of the listening position. Sounds like my rear wall is where I can make the most difference. Thanks!
Mrjstark
Highest point is side to side. Yeah, I think I do have some significant problems. You mention balance/seperation regarding the side walls and I think your on to something. I have noticed when listening to music the right speaker always seems more prominent. Would have expected the opposite. Does it make sense?
Different room not an option. I am ready but it will be a series of compromises and I feel sure the best I can do will be minimal but that's better than none at all. Appreciate the help.
Rives
Couldn't find the absorption films at RPG. Looks like they have a nice selection of products and some may work for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
Went to your site. All I can say is WOW! You have done some really nice rooms. Wish I had seen this before our remodel. Would have stolen some of your ideas. Still may.
I really do appreciate all the support and info.
Steve
He does point out and caution regarding overdamping a room, which is something I subscribe to. All too often too much "stuff" is added tot he room and can actually take away from good sound.

Could not agree more. If you have wall to wall carpet and the speakers are four feet from side walls then personally I don't think side wall treatments help ...they may even make it worse. I prefer a "Live front end" and a "damped listening end".

On the other hand I don't think you can ever get enough of broadband bass absorption...usually aesthetics are the limiting factor.

My comments apply for medium to big sized rooms....why anyone would want to put an ultra high end system in a very small bedroom sized room - I really don't get that.
Can you help me understand why it is less of a problem on a 23 ft wall?

Simply because you can keep the speakers at least four feet away from the side walls which makes the BIGGEST difference in side wall reflections....with 23 feet to play with and assuming you are sitting 12 feet back then an 8 foot spacing between speakers gives you (23 - 8} / 2 = 7.5 feet to side walls if you placed the speakers in the middle of the 23 foot wall (roughly speaking of course as I ignored the dimensions of your speakers but I expect it is small as most people prefer pretty looking, narrow towers these days)
What are you hearing that makes you think that you need room treatment? Given the size of your room, I'd be surprised if you had first-reflection problems. Generally two-channel speakers should be well away from the end walls.

If you could post a Virtual System for us to see it would really help us get specific. Also you need to tell us what's sounding bad in what way. We're shooting in the dark right now.

Given the large room, well stuffed couch, carpeting and high ceilings I'd guess that almost any problem would be related to fine tuning the speaker placement rather than changing the room. Oh, yeah, what speakers do you have?

Dave