Best new loudspeaker

I have heard many loudspeakers ,I own Magnapan , and
a Aerial 10-t . This new loudspeaker I heard at great lengths and many agree is from a new company called
NSR -Sonic Research the D-3 Sonata was absolutely killer
and they were saying the wiring and crossover are not even final as of the Jan show . parts quality is excellent in the Silver finish I saw,for a speaker under $5k to create such a soundstage presence with bass that had articulation and impact is beyond me how they do it ,I am told it is a
sealed focal lens .They will be selling by March ,I for sure will be saving my bucks, this is one loudspeaker to watch ,I am already selling my 10-ts.
audiophile1958
they do not sound like electrostatic speakers, magnepans, apogees, eminent technology speakers and other planar magnetics.

MrT,

Forgive me for being presumptuous but I do believe that you are confusing things. At least this is the only way I can reconcile your statements/preferences.

The biggest difference in all these electrostatic designs compared to almost all the cone speaker designs is NOT in the timbre but in the radiation pattern!

I think it is the RADIATION pattern of panels that is what "turns your crank".

It is entirely possible you prefer the enhanced reverberant sound field that you get from a large panel! This is perfectly understandable. However, claiming that the timbre of "all cones is wrong" is simply not supported by any science that I know of. I call this panel sound an atmospheric effect...dipoles do it also but not as significantly....it is almost magical and the sound from panels can at times be enveloping and almost three dimensional - sometimes with a distinct source between the speakers but more often not. It is also possible to hear increased emphasis in certain stringed instruments and vocals due to the later reverberant information that reaches the ears (reverberation spreads out the energy and gives the ear/brain more chance to discern things/details). In fact the sound can be highly variable depending on both placement and listening position (you also tend to get a lot of comb filtering/lobing with such large radiating surfaces and reflections, which changes the sound of long lasting notes - although the spacing between the ears generally compensates for the comb filtering and you are left with just an impression of "spaciousness" in the sound rather than a change in tone/timbre). The highly variable nature of the sound ( due to room interaction ) is why these panel designs are shunned in studios....studios want translatable and reproducible sound....they want to know exactly what a mix or master sounds like ....NOT what it sounds like in a particular room! Besides the dynamic comression from panels is just a non starter for evaluating a mix.

Of course, the acoustics that a large panel may create in your room are probably more akin to what you might hear towards the back of a large concert hall where there is a heavier emaphasis on reflected rather than direct sound ( defintely true of classical and church music compared to typical rock/pop/jazz club/concert sound). Indeed, if you only attend the ballet and opera then you will ONLY hear reflected sound from the orchestra that sits in a pit. The comb filtering (from multiple reflections of the same signal all reaching your ear but with various delays) has a marked impact on what you hear. Even a symphony orchestra which sits on a wooden floor is gaining from a huge amount of reverberant energy off the floor. Contrast this with an amplified rock group with speaker towers and of course the sound field radiation pattern is completely different!!

I propose that your beef with ALL cone speakers and you adoration of all panels (especially Quad 57) has absolutely nothing to do with timbre. IMHO, you are mixing your terms, which is understandable given the complexity of a natural sound field, the nature of audio reproduction in a room at home and the difficulty in translating your perceptions into language...
hi shadorne:

it is my experience, auditioning many cone designs that cone designs do not as good a job creating natural timbre as ribbons, electrostats and planar/magnetic drivers.

cone designs have driver colorations, cabinet colorations and crossover colorations with cones.

if cone designs reproduced timbre naturally, i would consider them.

as for radiating patterns. if you listen in the near field, there are still differences in radiating patterns, but they are reduced.

are you suggesting that a ribbon tweeter and a dome tweeter sound similar except for radiating pattern ?

how would you demonstrate that ?
how would you demonstrate that ?

By measuring the frequency response and the distortion on axis and verifying that the impulse response is of similarly high quality. A check of the phase and impedance plot for anomalies would also help. Many speakers have low distortion. Many have pretty good impulse response - especially in the midrange and at modest levels. However very few have similar radiation patterns though and very few maintain low distortion at higher levels.
it is my experience, auditioning many cone designs that cone designs do not as good a job creating natural timbre as ribbons, electrostats and planar/magnetic drivers

Everything you prefer has a distinctly different radiation pattern from a cone. However there are many cones and many ribbons/electrostats and planar/magnetic drivers that all have their own sound/timbre.

To me you are clearly associating the driver radiation pattern, sound field and room reverberation with "timbre", which is wrong.
if you compareh a three way cone design to a pair of martin logan cls 2 z speakers , you will hear many differences. let's say your source is a harpsichord.

the timbre of the harpsichord, in my opinion will sound more realistic played through the martin logan than through some 3 way cone design.

whether it is or is not a matter of dispersion, the drivers are different.

since i am looking to purchase a pair of speakers, reproduction of timbre is my primary criterion.

i consider electrostatic and planar/magnetic speakers more likely to produce a natural recreation of the sound of an instrument than cone designs.

if there is a speaker that is a worthy competitor of electrostatics and planar/magnetics/ribbons, with respect to reproduction of timbre, using "conventional" drivers, i would want to audition it, unless i have already heard it.