Build my own speakers?

I am wondering if I buy the best components like scan speak-revalator tweeters and such if it can be possible. I am thinking it can for a fraction of the dealer cost of a new top of the line speakers made. With all the sites out on the web for cabinet design and such. Speakers with the revalator tweeter sale for $20,000 and up. The tweeter is only about $400 brand new.
radrog
Hi Radrog,
I want mine to be a mini monitor that can fill a large room with the dynamics of a full scale symphony. I'll require 110db efficiency operating at a flat 10 ohms. Will that be a problem?

Regards,
Flat 10 ohms. Yes that a big problem unless you like one speaker. Then you are still looking at plus or minus 2 ohms. And a mini monitor to fill a large room. They usually consist of two way speaker. I never heard a mini monitor that sounded great. My thought is to build a 5 speaker system in the first order. Sorry but i'm lookin at 4 ohms with a swing of plus or minus 2.6875 ohms.
Check out ellisaudio.com and the kit for the 1801's. I built those and it was reasonably easy. They are very highly rated by owners on audioreview, myself included. If you don't have woodworking tools, you can find guys who will do that for a reasonable cost. You can then install drivers and finish the cabinets any way you want. It is a way to very high quality at bargain prices.
Superior results can be acheived through DIY if you let a professional design the crossover, OR, you invest in a bunch of testing equipment. Meniscus, as Mitch2 pointed out, is a good option. Better than Madisound, as Meniscus actually measures the drivers in the cabinet (or baffle) before they design the crossover. Madisound simply plugs in assumed measurements before they design the crossover.

It doesn't take as many tools as most would think to build DIY speakers. I've done 4 pairs myself, all mdf with veneer. There are more manufacturers than people realize that actually do grab off the shelf drivers and use them in their designs.

For reference, the scan speak revelator tweeter (9900) is actually about $200, the 7000 from scan speak is the one that is $400. The one that has me most intrigued is the 6600 that sells fro $220. With the air circ design, some say it's better than the top of the line 7000.

If you have not done a DIY speaker before and want to do a "no holds barred" version, my suggestion is to start small with a two way stand mount and see if you can get that right first. It's not as fun as trying a flagship, but you will learn tons before you spend all the money on the big drivers.

htguide.com/forum has a "mission possible" section that is all talk of DIY speakers. There are a few guys there that really know what is going on and can rival some of the best designers in the world when it comes to crossover design. Read some stuff over there, and you will be a step in the right direction.
I just completed building my own loudspeakers about 2 months ago...I'm still tweaking them, but even in their current state, I like them better than anything I've heard over the past 10 years...I too tired of seeking out audio nirvana, only to find disappointment with the sound quality of most systems, and dismay at the high prices for loudspeakers, some of which used off-the-shelf components....

I built my system, based on the Great Plains 604 driver, for less than $3K, and that included having the cabinets made by a craftsman...I'd put them against anything under $20K...

It's not nearly as easy as it seems, but if done with care, the results can be spectacular...