Build my own speakers?

I am wondering if I buy the best components like scan speak-revalator tweeters and such if it can be possible. I am thinking it can for a fraction of the dealer cost of a new top of the line speakers made. With all the sites out on the web for cabinet design and such. Speakers with the revalator tweeter sale for $20,000 and up. The tweeter is only about $400 brand new.
radrog
I don't know of any "new top of the line" speakers that use readily available, out of the catalog drivers throughout. The $20k Magico Mini, eg, uses the revelator but the other driver is custom made. Top speaker manufacturers custom engineer their drivers because the off-the-shelf ones limit their design flexibility. They often have to specify their own parameters which the standard drivers usually do not have in order to produce the sound they're looking for.

Is it possible to build a great sounding speaker with standard Vifa, Peerless and ScanSpeak units? Absolutely. Their websites have cabinet and crossover suggestions and DIY forums have posted every possible combination with results. You're not going to get it right the first time but the learning experience (and fun) is another hobby in itself.

Just be forewarned: one thing DIY'ers overlook is the cost of the power and hand tools needed to make somewhat decent cabinets. A good table saw and fence, router and router table, jointer, drill press, joinery tools, jigs, workbench, clamps, and assorted hand tools could easily be a few thousand dollar hit. And then there are test instruments...
Even those speakers that use off the shelf drivers subect those drivers to rigorous tests and reject a large number of them. Kftool (an audiogon member)makes his own speakers. He however runs his own tool and die company. There are some DYI companies like GR Reaerach. They can deliver a finsihed product at DIY prices.
I like to think we are being ripped off by expensive speakers. truth is that cabinent making is labor intensive. It reqires skilled workers. That is why planar speakers are generally less expensive. No cabinent. Matching drivers and crossovers- not easy.
My suggestion is buy a kit. They might even let you modify the kit soou can oqn a unique speaker.
I build my own set of speakers using scan speak and the revalator tweeter.The crossover was built by madisound speaker components inc.I use one inches MDF to make my encloser cover with Brazilian Oak veeneer all I did was to read about building speaker I got a book at Radio Shack follow the instruction and you will be happy with the result.The set of speaker I built everyone who see an hear them think I paid a lot of money for them untill I tell them how much it cost me to make.Good Luck with your first built
You might take a look at the Linkwitz Orion (http://www.linkwitzlab.com/index.html). Siegfried has done all the critical design work, you need to assemble parts & build the cabinets...or just order a premade set. Note that the Orion is an active speaker, though the amp he suggests isn't expensive.

There are a few tried & true DIY recipes out there if you look around. I'd avoid just buying good components & assume they'll sound good together. Much like photography, a great photo (finished speaker) doesn't necessarily require an expensive camera (pricey drivers)...it's what you do with the tools that really matters.

And then there's the resale value...well known DIY recipes may have some demand while unique designs will probably have little resale value beyond used parts.
Look over this site.

Browsing their catalog,you will find drivers,crossovers,individual parts and components,**books that tell you how to design speakers,and **a crossover service-tell them what you have in mind,and they will use a software program to design a proper crossover.

Also,they have a forum where many informed,helpful people post and answer questions.