Anybody else heard the Avalon Acoustics Isis?

I spent a delightful afternoon on friday listening to the Avalon Acoustics Isis speakers. These retail for $62000.00, so I was expecting a high level of performance, but was still surprised at how wonderful these speakers were at creating the sound of real music.

Even though this was in a store environment with electronics that are not my favorite cup of sonic tea, current Mark Levinson gear, the Isis's offered the following:

1) I'm quite enamored of the type of soundstage and natural layering that planer dipolar speakers provide, my home reference are MG-20's, the Isis was one of the few box enclosure speakers that offered this type of illusion regarding space. They just did not disappear, but offered this very natural 3D imaging without making individual players sound like "cutouts" against a background, but layering in a very natural way that sounds more like live music.

2) Great macrodynamics and resolution without sounding etched or in your face, and this was with electronics that I personnally don't find to be very musical! I would want to hear these speakers with a great tube pre and SS amps like Pass Labs XA's.

3) The whole sonic presentation was seemless, again reminding me of what great planer speakers have to offer, with a quick and rock solid bottom end.

I have listened to Wilson's, Kharma's, B&W's, Magico's, Dali's reference speakers on other occasions, and I was not as impressed as I was yesterday. Am I trading my MG-20's for the Isis's, no but if you have a chance to hear them I think you find it a very enjoyable experience.
teajay
Hi Dev, I think I heard the Ascendo's at THE Show this past January. If I'm not mistaken it's a lacquer finished black box woofer bottom with a second slimmer laquer finished black box top with a horn loaded (I think as it appeared to be recessed in the cabinet) ribbon midrange and/or tweeter? It had a very distinctive, albeit awkward, look to it if memory serves me correct.

In any case, if it's what I thinking it is, it sounded pretty darn impressive during the brief time I spent with it.

Regarding the other products, I will have to review my list with you before I head out to make sure I get it right!
Dev, One other question regarding the 101E's. Have you driven them or given thought to driving them with the Spectron Musician III Class D amplifier? There are a number of threads on this forum (as well as on audioreview.com) that absolutely swear by this amp/speaker combination irregardless of cost considerations (except for the MBL 9011 reference monoblock amps).

What say you and your MBL bretheren?
Dev,
I am not alone in my findings about MBLs... In fact very good friend of mine is Classical Music Piano Player(you probably heard about him but, I will keep his name for myself) and he told me that Bosendorfer on his own recording do not sound right on full MBL system(101, 9008, 6010D etc.). And this is his presonal system... He is now searching for something else after living with MBLs for over two years. Those two lenghty sessions were at his home and I agree fully with him. Interesting enough Rock music like Guns'n'roses sounded just right on this system...

Rockport Altair cost $89500(or $91500 in Titanium color) in US. Overpriced? Not IMHO. Just read Jeff Fritz review about them http://www.ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_20071001.htm It is very honest and accurate description of their sound IMO.

Back to Isis... You find Eidolon Diamond superior to Isis. Well, I disagree big time here. IMHO Isis is a much, much better speaker then Eidolon Diamond. Freedom of speach I guess... Long live the difference in our ears and opinions!
Branimir and Sydsrig,

May be the difference you are hearing could be due different to cabling? Cables do make difference. Something to think about.

That said, I also find an All MBL system to be overly mettallic and tad on brighterside. The 6010d and MBL 9008s on the other hand used in different pairings (like my Dunlavy V and Zanden front end, can produce ' believable' life like sound. With Zanden preamp everything goes few notches up.

Sorry to barge in on Avalon Isis Thread with MBL 101E opinion. To be relevant, I have heard only the EIdelons ( with mbl 6010d and 9008s) in fact and although I liked the sound, it was not my cup of tea ;-). Although the Isis could be better...
Hi Sydsrig I actually sent you a email as I really did not feel it right to continue as the thread was getting hi-jacked.

Hi Branimir, Thanks for your reply back. The price for the Rockports aren't that bad and not as outrages as some others out there so I'll have to look into hearing these, no one has them arround here as of yet. Regarding your thoughts of the MBL's no problem and you don't have to defend you findings as they are yours but regarding your good friend the "Classical Music player" I'll stick with my Uncle and cousin findings as they go around the world making and tuning the pianos for such performers. We have had conversations regarding that some don't even realize that their Piano's are out of tune and most times never sound exactly the same, room issues, positioning, humidity, actual makes of pianos sound different and it goes on.

Regarding the Avalon Isis, you must have misread or I did not convey properly regarding my thoughts of the Diamonds and Isis, I first owned the Diamonds and replaced them with the Isis which I feel the later was a improvement and well worth upgrade. Hopefully this is clearer, I prefer the Isis over the Diamonds.

In the end all that matters is that we enjoy music and get to tell each other stories.