We have a Winner -- Major "MINI" monitors

I just have to point out that I am one of the first recipients of the new Model SPTECH Mini speakers. To call these 40 pound each beautiful finished loudspeakers Minis is an OxyMoron. They actually cross over at 800hz so most pf the midrange is handled by one driver! But I have to tell you that after only 5 hours of use, these speakers can beat just about anything on the market today. In some ways, there really isn't anything that at much much higher prices can sound as good as the trade offs begin piling up. I exposed them to some ungodly power barrage usinga 1000wpc amplifier and they did not even blink. The sound coming out are what I call the epitome of a speaker design in that they sound both life like and musical at the same time. This is no small feat. Instruments are so well defined that the umpteen speakers I have owned can't hold a candle to them. Bob the designer and engineer is a terrific guy and very knowledgeable. These speakers destroy anything in their range and most audiophiles would be well served to try and listen to these or anything in the line above the Minis I assume. I just had to pass this on, because I am one of the lucky owners. I want to point out that I have zero affiliation with SP, but am in love wit this product. I believe you can buy them on Audiogon? They are worth several times the current asking price. Don't take my word, try and hear for yourself! There is several review on the net and what I had noticed is that none of them had anything negative to say about this line.
bbchem
Hi Mrtennis:

I understand and in-part agree with your response to my friend's comment that, "The more you hear, the more you know."

I'll only say that we all gain from experience, and I submit that it is actually through deductive reasoning that I've come to own and appreciate SP Technology speakers.

The theory behind their design intrigued me, I listened, I liked what I heard, kept them beyond the 30-day MBG period and have now listened to them in my home for almost 4 years.

The longer I've owned them, and the more I've compared them to other speakers, the more I understand what it is I like about them, and why. I know what I like, and for at least this moment in time, SP Technology speakers suit me.

I don't believe anyone is trying to ram any absolutes down your throat, Mrtennis. The only absolutes I've made refer to my own thoughts and feelings about the speakers, and as you have astutely pointed out, even they are subject to change.

Four years and counting, though... that's a heck of an audition period IMHO.

Regards,
Mrtennis:

...very soft and rounded presentation,...
I stand corrected; in light of the above, I do not recommend you seek an audition.

Though such a presentation is certainly achievable with SP Technology speakers, I believe an audition would very likely be a waste of your time.

My apologies,
This is all very interesting and we all have many valid points. My only point in identifying other speakers I've had is as a basis for those which I'm comparing the sound of the SP Tech's to. To my ears, the SP Techs have been the best out of the gate and I'm not hearing anything that would lead me to believe I won't enjoy them for the long term. One thing I do know for certain - there are very few of us right now that have any basis to speak about them with any direct knowledge. I personally consider myself lucky in that regard and will spend a lot of time enjoying them. I hope you all can have the same privilege, regardless of what vehicle you choose to ride.

-Mike
Cleaneduphippy, All speakers by all manufacturers have gone on Audiogon some time or another, this is where I bought 90% of my speakers. SP Tech is a small outfit that had struck a nerve in an underground forum, AudioCircle. I bought them based on all the reviews I could find on the net. If there was one negative, I would have dropped them like a hot potato. I could not find a negative. In fact, the reviews by some professional people were downright magical. There are and have been some for sale on audigon, most upgrading in the SP Tech line. SP TECH has been around, underground wise, for many years. We proud owners feel they should be recognized by the main stream. Bob the designer is having trouble keeping up with production strictly by word of mouth.