Revel Salon 2 versus WP 8

Anyone done a comparison?
psacanli
Jamnesta, for me it has been a wonderful pairing; this is the longest I have went without making changes. I tried a Jeff Rowland Concentra II at one point, hoping to recoup some money, but the McIntosh was far better with the Wilson's. This surprised me a bit because I used a Concentra II with B&W N803's with great success in the past.
I don't understand people saying the W/P 8 is on the bright side... If anything it is rolled off gradually as it approaches 20KHz. When people say something like that, I tend to assume they haven't listened to the W/P8 in a decent environment and/or are basing their remarks on hearsay.

Now, if you truly want to hear a bright speaker, check out a B&W Diamond tweeter speaker. Personally, bright doesn't bother me, as I used to own the 802D which had excellent highs (attack and decay were extremely accurate, more so than anything else I've heard), though it was lacking in mid-bass and mid-range clarity. Those speakers were a bit bright, but I definitely wouldn't call the W/P 8 bright... If you like, you can look at my in-room response measurements in my System thread. There is an overall excellent gradual decline in the 1/6th octave in-room frequency response measurements (both in the singular measurement, which was at a lower "normal listening" volume for me, and the overlay, which was taken at a considerable increase in volume).

Given, it is a well designed room in terms of acoustic treatment (Rives Audio), but if you are spending ~$28,000+ on a speaker, you should at least be treating the 1st reflection points in your listening environment as well as randomly adding absorption and diffusion in order to kill slap echo. The only thing I can imagine that would spark a comment that the W/P8s are too bright, is listening to the W/P8s in a bad environment. In such a situation, only an excessively rolled off speaker will not sound bright...
Since I had a chance to audition both Salon2 and W/P8 I can say that both speakers are good. Honestly, I like Salon2 little bit more. For all seeking speaker in this class check out new KEF Reference 207/2 as well. It is really as good as John Atkinson said in his review.
Regarding W/P8 sounding bright... To my ears they sound little bit "hot" in lower treble(not high treble). I even personally discussed that "quality" with Peter Mcgrath on one of his presentation of W/P8s(he setup the system with W/P8s on that presentation)... So, we can asume that prominent lower treble is Wilson sonic signature.

Regarding Escalante Fremonts check out review in February issue of Stereophile... I audition Fremonts as well and was not that impressed with their sound.

Hi Branimir,

I have the W/P8 at home for the last 3 month. Before I bought them, I was afraid from brightness, strident upper midrange and aggressiveness, but I proved false.
With an Audio Research Reference 3+ Reference 110 amplification, the sound is on the warm side. I measured my room/speakers with a DEQX 2.6. The room correction decrease only in the 70- 100Hz range (my W/P8's stand "11 from the back wall), and didn't change anything else. The measurement show a flat FR graph with a small drop from 5K- 20KHz.
The “brightness” of the Watt comes from its tweeter's dome break-up that is too close to the audioband. It is not brightness, it is simply distortion. Some, may find it exciting.
Just got the new SP with the Revel review. Objectively, I see no comparison between the two speakers. Under JA measurements, the Salon are light years ahead of the Wilson. The rest are just subjective opinions.