Midrange Better Than Harbeth or Spendor?

I recently auditioned a pair of Harbeth SHL5's and Sendor S8's and was really impressed with the mids on both of these speakers. I was wondering if folks out there who have first hand experience could recommend other speakers that equal or surpass these two in the midrange. Thank you.
bcollins
What an interesting question. I own a pair of Harbeth M30s, which I brought in to replace Vandersteen 3a sigs (which had replaced 2ce sigs). There was no contest. I listen to a lot of classical music, and the sound of strings (massed or otherwise) on the Harbeths was richer and more fleshed out than the Vandersteens...so much so that certain CDs I considered almost unlistenable on the Vandersteens were suddenly listenable on the Harbeths. I auditioned a few other speakers in high end shops both before and after getting Harbeths, none of which struck me as being as pleasant as the Harbeths, with one semi-exception (though the electronics were not the same as mine of course, so one could argue that the comparison was flawed). I listened to Wilson Sophias (which didn't impress me much at all in 2 different set-ups), a Wilson-Benesch something-or-other, some Revels, some ProAcs (D28? I think, which were interesting--I could have spent more time with them), Sonus Faber Cremonas (which had a very interesting mid-range, but the tweeters had a bit too much "tizz" in them), some mid-priced Dalis (blah), some little Sonus Fabers (Cremona Auditors?--too much "tizz" in the highs), those wierd looking German speakers (MBL? -- I couldn't get out of the room fast enough), Audio Physic Scorpios (which I kind of liked, though not because of fabulous mids)...and I can't remember what else.

The "semi-exception" to the list was the Avalon Ascendants because of everything else they do well, but I'm not sure their mid-range is exactly better than the Harbeths. The overall sound seems notably more transparent and holographic, and I'm a sucker for that, and, after some agonizing, decided to buy the Avalons. However, I'm not selling the Harbeths. As one dealer buddy of mine from way back said to me recently, "Harbeths are for when you're tired of everything else." (And he's not a Harbeth dealer.) I can really see where he's coming from.
Thank you everyone for your responses so far.

"Bcollins, what is it about the Harbeth and Spendor midranges that is to your liking."
Drubin

Drubin,
What I liked most were female vocals. A bit sweeter on the Spendors, but so clean and grain-free on the Harbeths. I felt that the Harbeths were more coherent and ballanced overall. The only problem with the Harbeths was that they are a bit bulky for my small room.
I second Lindisfarne, you should definitely audition ATC.

Another option might be the classic Quad 989's but you may miss too much of the low end - so I am not sure if everyone would agree that they are better than the speakers you mentioned...although they are obviously better known for a great mid range, as is ATC.
I have a friend with some Harbeth SHL5 and they do sound amazing. And the recommendation to keep them away from walls is a great idea. My friend listens to a lot of classical and I was amazed and how dynamic yet organic the Harbeth's sounded.

As for what other speaker has a nice midrange I would say B&W. I know a lot of people here do not like B&W (maybe they are too popular for "true" audiophiles to like but I had their 804s and 802ds, and while they had issues with boomy bass, and a less then extended tweeter, I really liked their midrange with the FST driver. It may be a little colored but when you just want to relax and enjoy the music, they do a great job and just producing romantic sounding vocals.