Subwoofer suggestion to Integrate w/ Meyer HD-1's

As I have been breaking in my new Meyer Sound HD-1's I keep thinking a sub would improve things (their response is flat to 40 Hz and within +/-3db at 32 Hz). They do double duty in the Home Theater so the LFE stuff is somewhat lacking and the bottom octave seems to be missing on music tracks as well. I am thinking it will get better as the drivers loosen up but I don't know if it will be enough. I once heard some Quad ESL-989's that I thought were full-range until a REL sub was turned on that was crossed over at about 30Hz. The Quads seems to be more effortless and the room was "loaded" with sound. I am wondering if I will notice the same thing with my monitors.

The details most people leave out:

--My room is approx. 17'd x 28'w x 9’h and I don’t have a ton of floor space available.

--Other equipment is a Denon 5910 with Upgrade Co. signature mods, Bel Canto Pre3 or a Odyssey Candela Tube pre, a Boston Acoustics Pre/pro that
may all be replaced soon with a Meridian g68 or 861.

--In addition to TV and movies, I listen to a lot of music. About 50% of the time you’ll find live Grateful Dead (I have most Dick’s Picks and many other live recordings in addition to newer DSO live recordings) in the player. The remainder is pretty randomly split between bluegrass, acoustic and electric blues, acoustic and electric jazz, reggae, Motown, rock (mostly from 60’s and 70’s), jam bands, and folk/singer-songwriter stuff. I do not listen to classical, electronic, rap or pop music.

--Budget is as little as I have to spend to do it well. I guess that means I would like to spend $2000-3000 (used) but if I need to spend more to make things integrate and work right I can go quite a bit higher.

Thanks.
stearnsn
I bought a couple of organ music CD's and these do go pretty low. I bought a JL Audio F113 though to help out with the LFE channel in my home theater and I hope it adds to the music party too.
Thanks! Do you use your ears to adjust the EQ or do you use some sort of analyzer?

Both.

I use a plot of pure test tones witha Ratshack meter to get "reasonably" flat (+/- 5 db in room) and then I use music to fine tune overall bass. Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pigeon is a good track for testing mid bass...all the bass notes should sound even and equally loud.

After this a variety of music will generally tell you if you have it right....some stuff will remain too bass heavy (like Hip Hop and some "atmospheric" style jazz) whilst some stuff my remain a little bass anemic (like much rock from the 60's). Once you have it right then the majority of music (all genres) will sound good. They key to bass is even bass notes on the bass guitar or double bass....all too often, even in demo systems I have heard emphasis on certain notes due to room modes that should not be there. The emphasis can be both pleasing and impressive (room modes can easily add 10 db or more to some bass notes) but often it ain't what the artist intended when playing the riff!

There is an enormous amount of detail in the bass - most peope have no idea that this exists as they never bother to get big box speakers and massive sub and they don't bother to deal with room modes and acoustics. A lot of this is WAF related. I was one of these people for many years, typical 6 1/2" woofers was my standard fare, and I thought I had a perfect system until I got some even bigger box speakers...15" sub and 12" main woofers (I was shocked that bass was so wildly different on each track and I didn't know it). For me there is NO truth in the statement that big woofers are slow...only big cheap poorly constructed woofers are slow.

Try Elephunk Let's get it started" or Rolling Stones Jump Back CD "Beast of Burden" and "Miss You" or Rolling Stones "Honky Tonk Woman" from Bob Ludwigs recent remaster "Hot Rocks" or Keb Mo "Better Man" or Dirty Dozen Brass Band "Cissy Strut".....bass is wonderful - so much timbres to enjoy ....there is an entire world of music down there in the last couple of octaves...but you don't clearly hear much of the last two octaves with a wee 6 1/2" woofer (most WAF friendly audiophile designs), as it pumps out lots of harmonic an IM distortion that cloud everything, notes may be there but timbre and detail usually gets lost/muddled.
The sub has EQ and so does my Meridian so I am using the G68's and leaving the eq on the sub flat.