Frequency range vs frequency response

I should know this but am still fuzzy on it. Could someone explain the difference between frequency range and frequency response when looking at specs of loudspeakers? I know specs are only part of what you base a purchase decision on but which one of these tells the truer story about how low they can reproduce bass levels? Each loudspeaker has a low end value in HZ for these two measurements but they differ. Which one gives you the best idea of how low it can go? What's the difference? Many thanks.
pdn
All systems in the world have a finite bandwidth and so any input is subjected to nonlinear effects somehow. The output is the "response" of the input according to the system so that is where the name comes from. The range is a reading of the response and is usually set at the -3dB points of the high and low parts of the bandwidth's passband. Hope I am not confusing you more.

If you look at the bass end of the response, a good way to get more information about potential performance is to see how the slope is shaped. Range info can't specifically tell you this. If the response curve drops off slowly relative to another design, it will have more bass extension in room. If it drops off fast, you will have less ultimate extension.

Some range specs will also give -6dB in addition to the typical -3dB. This is good and gives a better indication of what you should expect. In my experience, the -6dB point is more valuable because you can actually get useable bass from it once in a room. A room will boost the bass compared to an anechoic chamber - and the latter is what is used to get the manufacturer's response curve so you can't equate the two. But in any case, the lower the Hz number, the more bass you get.

Arthur
The best is to see a plot of anechoic frequency response in a reputable lab like Canada NRC. Speaker Measurments

Most of manufacturers cheat on frequency range specifications (use in room boost or use loose definitions of range).
'Frequency range' is simply the range, usually expressed from Hz to KHz, that a given device will produce. It tells you nothing about the amplitude variations within the range. 'Frequency response' is usually specified as having a certain amplitude tolerance, such as "±3db", which means that the device is able to produce sound with the range specified at no more or less than 3db from the reference level at any frequency. A plot is much more useful. See the plot below, top graph:

http://imf-electronics.com/TLS80/tls80graph1.jpg