What's wrong with Velodyne?

I have two Velodyne subs. (HGS-12 and older one) and both have worked great, sound great, etc.

However, my experience with dealers is that they think very lowly of Velodyne and politely recommend staying away from them. One dealer used to carry them and dropped them, another well-established dealer said he though many other brands (some he didn't carry) would be better.

Is something going on here that I am missing? I don't think it's just dealers trying to sell products they carry.
bundy
In my experience, most new Velodyne subs that cost up to $600 and 50 lbs or less will come without any type of suspension or damping foams. Their internal are VERY simple design. Thus, by adding/glue-ing some type of foams to inside walls, the Velodynes (or any others) would sound so much smoother and have a better bass control. Diff will be night and day. I personally use 1" thick pink packaging foams (egg shell).

Note:
-Its port must maintain free of clearance.
-Too much foams added, the sub might/will sound muddy or stuffy.
-Since you changed the sub's characteristic, relocate or re toe-ing it may be needed.

Adding SMALL bag of sand would help stablize the sub, minimizing vibration. But its internal volume would be degrease dramatically so just try one step at the time to see what fits you most...
Ah, I must add:
Keep off the foams away from a big bracket filter choke that looks like a transformer mounted seperately on the bottom of the sub, and a heat sink (if equipted) mounted on the back of the sub BECAUSE they are running pretty hot.

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. Just wanted to share..... Now, back to you!
Just to clarify, I didn't hear the JL Audio 113 in a shop, or with a dealer, I had it in my system, along with a DD-15 for comparison. The DD-15 was every bit as good, or actually better. It could have been the imperfect room, but the set up program of the Velodyne made it work seamlessly with my Maggies. I quickly sold the JL Audio, at a slight profit actually, and continued with the Velodyne DD-15 until I bought the current SVS after many recommendations. It's a different set up, and includes the Velodyne SMS-1 to manage it, and the only reason I don't sell and go back to the DD-15 is not wanting to mess with it again.
I have a pair of 20 year old servo 1200 that are still going strong. These were the first subs i ever purchased. Everything else in my system has changed except the Velodynes.
My dealer sales person some time ago told me that Velodyne as a company can be difficult to deal with vs other brands (ordering, returns, billing, etc). They sell both Velodyne and B&W. On numerous ocassions, he told me that working and dealing with the B&W Group is so much more pleasant and supportive to their dealers.