Speaker disappearing act?

There's new $25k per pair speaker, that according to everyone who matters, disappears? I've heard this disappearing act before, but what, if any does it have to do with the quality of the sound? If you're blind, or close your eyes when you listen to music, does that eliminate the need for a total disappearing act? I know what they mean by speakers "disappearing" but can it be overkill in the descriptive sense, considering there are oodles of other factors that are important in describing a speaker/quality of sound. Have you ever listened to a pair of speakers that are drop dead amazing, but when you open your eyes they may not be the purest "disappearing" act you thought? Does that matter?
128x128warrenh
Shadorne, my friend has the Avalon Ceramique speakers, smaller but no necessarily small speakers. I am convinced it is my room.
What are the dimensions of your room and your relative seating position? Are they any additional room treatments besides what's shown in your photo. I have not heard your speakers but am puzzled as to why your soundstage/imaging is as subpar as you state. Has anyone else notice what you notice?
Launche, yes my friends have noticed that while the sound is great, the soundstage seems low and not very deep. In amost every system I have heard, the soundstage is a few feet above the speakers. The only other think I can think about is that my components have not broken in yet. The amps and speakers are only a few months old with not too many hours on them.

As for my room, the width is about 14 ft (my speakers are along this wall). The lenght is about 20 ft. The speakers are about 6 ft apart and I can sit anywhere from 0 ft to 15 ft away. The speakers are about 4 ft from the back wall (measured from the front baffle). I do not have any room treatments other than the 8th Nerve pieces you see in the corners.

To be honest I do not believe its an issue with room treatments. I dont think treatments can help my soundstage but maybe I am wrong.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
To be honest I do not believe its an issue with room treatments. I dont think treatments can help my soundstage but maybe I am wrong.

Room treatments can do a lot for the sound stage...heavy broadband treatment of the rear wall behind the listening position can deepen the sound stage significantly - vocals will become more articulate and tangible too. Perhaps you need to re-examine some of your beliefs and experiment with some broadband absorbers to reduce reverberations. G'luck.
I disagree about big speakers not being able to disappear. I've owned some pretty large speakers...and when everything is right, they will vanish right in front of you with your eyes wide open. The sound is right on the "stage" in front of you with everyone in the band in their proper places. The speakers just seem to be on the sides of the "stage" as pillars. I don't think size matters if it's done right.