Talon-New owner-NO customer service

I have a Talon Roc I purchased from a fellow Audiogon member. It developed a buzz after two months of use. I called talon, now owned by Rives and told them the problem. I got a call from Katie saying they no longer dealt with the amp manufacturer but she would call me back. She didn't so I called a week later. Basically they weren't interested in my plight, even if if I paid for out of warrenty service. They did say I could replace the amp for $1600!!!!! That is a "we don't don't care, but if you pay this-we will-price"!!!! A call to Richard got me, "go buy a Crown amp for a $1000 and make a wood panel for the back"
BEWARE---it appears Rives do not want to support Talons existing products!!!
128x128robyatt
Robyatt,

If you bought a used GE fridge, out of warrantee, then lost the compressor, I'd expect you'd get a repair estimate that would make a new fridge look attractive.

With regard to your letter finding its way to Rives, I applaud the magazine for taking an interest in trying to help you. It's doubtful your letter would have made it into publication, but at least they didn't ignore your problem. My assumption is that they were trying to help you and Rives. I see no collusion in that.

Am I surprised that a DIY project that cost $375 (likely with an inferior amp versus the improved version Rives wanted to provide) cost $1,600 when performed by a manufacturer? Not at all. Anyone who is shocked by this doesn't understand the financial realities of manufacturing.

I, too, have never bought anything from Rives, nor have I owned Talson speakers, but, like others, I am sensitive to the harsh and somewhat careless manner in which you treat this man's reputation and livelihood. Rives has been a valued member of this community for years, providing valuable insight in a thoughtful and professional manner.

High end audio is a small world. It's important to consider the impact of your words before you hit the "submit" key.
I missed this thread the first time through, but boy is it a good one! Looks like Robyatt needs to understand that "bend over backwards service" is not a given in the high end it is a BONUS. Under the circumstances some companies might have helped, a lot probably would not have. I'm sure I would be pissed if my "new" subwoofer needed a $1600 amp, but when I buy used I NEVER expect warranty service. When buying used it is always buyer beware unless an express warranty is provided. Robyatt was just unlucky in this circumstance.
I would like to mention here that in my past dealings with Mike Farnsworth of Talon he most definitely went "above and beyond" the call of duty when I had a slight problem with a Talon purchase a few years back. Mike bent over backwards to my total satisfaction in order to make me happy. More people like Mike would be a blessing in this industry. my 2 cents...
I am surprised no one addressed the actual issue and got answers here.. I mean if a warranty is up its up? Was this sub still under warranty, I doubt that, if it was then it is a problem, but it seems it was WELL over and anybody would have to pay after that regardless if the company changed hands, You don't get lifetime warranty just because you think you should, we all pay after some point.

What year is the Sub?

What year did you buy it?

And what is Talons Warranty time period on it?

Probably not past 3 years, and 1 year on the amp.. would be the standard on most subs I have ever seen.
The original owner says it is still under warrenty! I rang and offered to pay, as at the time, I did not know if it was, or was not, under warrenty. I gave a lady, who now I am ttold no longer works at Rives/Talon, the serial number. SStill no one at the company has confirmed or denied if it iis, or isn't, warrentied. To me a simple solution would have been, please send us the plate amp and we will have it checked. Yes sir it is faulty, we can fix it send us a cheque for $100 or 250 or 350.......
So I do get the out of warrenty concept. What everyone who says Rives did the right thing, don't know is the phone attitude that I got when I called them(they never called me back). They don't want to help, except for an unreaonable amount of money, for the problem concerned.