How Much Push/Pull Tube Power for Maggies

I have a 40 wpc el34 integrated tube amp and was thinking of mating it with a pair of maggies. i would probably start with the mmg's, and maybe work my way up. would this amp drive maggies? thanks.
cooch
It depends on how loud you like to listen, and the size of your room. Some people are not happy with anything less than hundreds of watts on maggies...others report great results with 50 or so watts of tube power....go figure.

I'm running 120 watt Rogue Audio monos on my Apogee panels (4 ohm...87db, about the same as Maggies)...another guy at the Maggie forum is also running the same Rogues on his Maggies with reported great results.

Yet, Someone at this forum tried the same Rogue Amps on his Maggies and said they "did not" work at all?

So, who's right and who's wrong?....I suspect no one, (see paragraph #1)

Dave
Pair of Maggies? Which pair? 40wpc? Never, unless you are satisfied with very soft music with no dynamics. I don't think so. 120wpc? Wouldn't be enough for me. I think you can do a lot better than Maggies with 40wpc. 40wpc with a pair of Maggies is like having them breath through a cocktail straw...
IMHO if your planning on using tube amplification with low impedance speakers, try the Paul Spelz autoformers. You'll be glad you did.
With a sensitivity of 86db and nominal impedance of 4 ohms, there's a fairly good chance you will run out of horsepower quickly with the MMG.

Good luck.
I actually made some measurements of the voltage driving a MG 1.6 when playing at an admittedly very loud level with demanding music. I concluded that my 600 watt/4 ohm amplifiers are not really overkill. They approached clipping. However, most of the time, and with a more reasonable volume level, 350 watts ought to be sufficient. I am now using CI D200 amps that are good for 350 watts at 4 ohms, and the 600 watt amps are busy driving subwoofers.

Your little tube amp will certainly drive the Maggies, and it will sound good, but you will not realize the real potential of the Maggies until you get a much more powerful amplifier.